Police have arrested a fugitive in southeast China after spotting him with facial recognition technology among about 50,000 people attending a pop concert, a news website reported.
In order to evade the police, Ao and his wife fled in their auto to a concert starring Hong Kong pop star Jacky Cheung, 90 kilometres away at Nanchang's International Sports Center.
Police officer Li Jin told state news agency Xinhua that "the suspect looked completely caught by surprise when we took him away".
Mr Li also told China Daily that there were several cameras at the ticket entrances equipped with facial recognition technology.
Ao had driven 56 miles to attend the concert. The suspect was also later caught on footage where he was quoted as saying in police custody that had he known, he would not have attended the concert.
It was the first time the software has been used at an outdoor event in the United Kingdom, with police stating that images were compared to a database of criminals who target music festivals across Europe.
In August past year, police in Shandong province arrested 25 suspects using a facial recognition system that was set up at the Qingdao International Beer Festival.
Uses of facial recognition technology in China include people paying at some restaurants or boarding planes after their faces are scanned for identification.
The country has been building what it calls "the world's biggest camera surveillance network". But perhaps he shouldn't have been too shocked, given that China has an estimated 170 million CCTV cameras now operating, with plans for an additional 400 million over the next three years.
Numerous cameras use artificial intelligence, including facial recognition technology.
- Of America (HCA) Stock Rating Upgraded by Zacks Investment Research
- On May, 10 AveXis, Inc. (AVXS) EPS Estimated At $
- White man charged for shooting at black teen
- Karnataka Polls: Cong Likely To Finalise First List Of Candidates Today
- NRG Energy, Inc. (NRG) EPS Estimated At $
- Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ:CY)
- Synchrony Financial (SYF) Analysts See $0.79 EPS as of April, 27
- Analyst Consensus Ratings Watch for American Tower Corporation (REIT) (NYSE:AMT)
- Shares in Moody's Co. (MCO) Acquired by First Commonwealth Financial Corp PA
- Shenmue 1 & 2 Coming To PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Year