"He's obviously a vital part of our offense, and when you have guys that can make plays and put points on the board, you want to try to feature them as much as you can, " Shula said.
But Shula said, honestly, the coaches haven't had enough time to worry about the Beckham trade talks and reports because they've been intensely focused on the draft.
"You know, God, he's such an explosive player, " Shula said Wednesday.
"You realize you have other components - and hopefully some more as we move forward in the offseason and the draft -where we can put players on the field and we are not going to be predictable", Shula said.
The Giants became too reliant on a healthy Beckham over the last three years, and former coach Ben McAdoo's offense collapsed without him.
According to The MMQB's Peter King, the Giants are "likely" seeking two first-round picks in exchange for Beckham-who is angling for a lucrative new deal that will pay out an average of $18 million annually. The Giants scored the second-fewest points in the National Football League last season, in part because Beckham missed the final 11 games with a fractured ankle. So while the Patriots might want to add another receiver after trading away Cooks and losing Danny Amendola in free agency, they ultimately could decide Beckham isn't worth the risk, especially given the Giants' reported asking price and the Pro Bowl receiver's impending free agency next offseason.
But Shurmur stressed the importance of all players showing up for the start of the program given all the newness - players, coaches, schemes, etc. - around the Giants.
While he may be a headache off the field with his antics, on it, he is one of the NFL's most dynamic playmakers in both receiving and kick returns as he has amassed 313 catches for 4,424 receiving yards and 38 touchdowns in his four years in Gotham. "He is such an explosive player". I'm really looking forward to being able to work with a guy like that.
There was no hemming and hawing, no hesitation at all when Shula responded to an inquiry about building the offense around Beckham. "So, we really don't have as much time - I hate to say it like that, but right now we've been focused in on those things in the immediate future".
- Cenovus Energy Inc. (CVE), Abbott Laboratories (ABT) — Trending Stocks Analysis
- Augusta National Will Host Women's Amateur Event
- Trump's new economic adviser says it's possible China tariffs won't happen
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (NASDAQ: COST)
- A family born from the heart, not the womb
- Williamson lauds Ish Sodhi performance against England
- Montecito Bank & Trust Purchased 628 Shares of Adobe Systems Inc. (ADBE)
- Checking the Overall Picture for Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (CY)
- Bank of The Ozarks reduces its investment in UnitedHealth Group Inc. (UNH)
- Janet Jackson to headline Outside Lands music festival in San Francisco