On Wednesday - the eve of the 2018 Masters - course and tournament chairman Fred Ridley confirmed plans for the Augusta National Women's Amateur Championship.
The 54-hole, stroke play tournament will feature an global field of 72 players.
That award was in addition to receiving the Mark H. McCormack Medal as the top golfer in the Women's World Amateur Golf Ranking for the third consecutive year and taking home the 2017 Ladies' British Open Amateur Championship.
AUGUSTA, Ga. - While the distance debate in golf continues to rage, Augusta National is taking a wait-and-see approach, hoping the game's governing bodies can come to some sort of agreement that does not make the game more hard for recreational players.
"Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts left behind a legacy of always trying to contribute meaningfully to the game of golf", Ridley said.
Augusta National caused controversy for decades by refusing to vote in a female member of one of the most exclusive clubs in sport.
The event will be televised around the world and the announcement is the club's latest attempt to boost the women's game. The event was established to inspire greater interest and participation in the women's game by creating a new, exciting and rewarding pathway for these players to fulfill their dreams.
"And I would have to say that our observations of these great players hitting middle and even short irons into that hole is not a momentous decision".
The Champions Retreat outside Augusta, Ga., will host the tournament's first two rounds. Following the 36-hole cut, the final competitive round will take place at Augusta National Golf Club on Saturday, April 6.
Remaining positions filled by invitation of the Augusta National Women's Amateur Championship Committee.
At last year's Masters, the 13th ranked as the easiest hole on the course, playing to an average of 4.63 strokes.
- Suspicious White Powder Causes Brief Suspension of NYC Bus Terminal
- Analysts Are Gushing Over Devon Energy Corporation (DVN), Lululemon Athletica Inc. (LULU)
- Viewership For This Week's WWE Raw
- Facebook data breach affects 87M users, company says
- Joanna Has No Fear Heading Into UFC 223
- Analysts issued consensus rating score of 2.40 for Walmart Inc. (WMT)
- Frank Vogel expected to be hired by the Knicks in 2016
- Oracle Corporation (ORCL) - Long Term Look
- Twitter And Major League Baseball Renew Streaming Deal
- Is Barclays Positive On Shares of Jacobs Engineering (NYSE:JEC)?