Five-time European champions and runaway Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich might have a pedigree that far surpasses Sevilla, who are in the last eight of Europe's premier club tournament for only the second time, but recent history is against the German side.
"We've already made history", Montella said. "We need to be at the top of our game".
Sevilla have surprisingly reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time since 1958 but while they are clearly the underdogs against the five-times champions, they are undefeated at home against German clubs in 11 matches.
'When you are in this kind of competition, opponents demand a lot of your mental and physical energy, ' the Italian added. "So we must take these guys seriously".
But it has reached this stage having upset Manchester United in the previous round (by 2-1 on aggregate) and boasts a good home record to give itself a chance against a formidable Bayern Munich.
Bayern Munich have been eliminated by a Spanish club in each of the last four Champions League seasons: 2016-17 to Real Madrid (QF), 2015-16 to Atlético Madrid (SF), 2014-15 to Barcelona (SF) and 2013-14 to Real Madrid (SF).
Ever Banega is suspended for Sevilla and will not feature, while Montella has questions marks over the fitness of Gabriel Mercado and Jesus Navas.
Rodriguez went on to make 111 competitive appearances for Real, mostly under former Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti.
"They scored two goals in the most hard moments of the game [at Old Trafford]".
Sevilla had looked set to inflict the first league defeat on Barca this season, having led 2-0 until the 88th minute.
- Has $7.57 Million Holdings in Celgene Co. (CELG)
- Cisco Systems (CSCO) Rating Increased to Conviction-Buy at Goldman Sachs
- Joshua: Wilder will see hell
- China's fallen space lab plummets into south pacific
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8's Always On Display receives GIF support
- Ready Player One Is Spielberg's Best Opening Since Indiana Jones 4
- Police out in force watching for distracted drivers
- Russo Brothers Say Fans Should Be Scared of Avengers 4 Title
- Laura Ingraham's long history of controversial behavior
- Gradient Investments LLC Purchases New Stake in Walmart Inc (NYSE:WMT)