Will Golsan was 3 for 5 with a pair of doubles, while Tyler Keenan was 3 for 4 with a double and home run, and Cole Zabowski was 2 for 5 with a double and home run. Caracci wheeled and dealed to give the Rebels a 7-6 victory.
The Aggies scored in each of the first three innings to take an early 4-1 lead, the only Rebel run coming on a massive home run by Zabowski to straightaway center field. Ethridge turned in back-to-back 1-2-3 innings, striking out two along the way to set the stage for Caracci. The Aggies would add one more in the fifth on a Coleman ground out, and then two more in the seventh on a Coleman single with the bases loaded.
Ole Miss (22-3, 4-2 SEC) took a 7-5 lead in the seventh with RBI hits from Will Golsan and Chase Cockrell. Jordan Wood (2-1, 7.1 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K) earned the win, while Drew Zimmerman recorded the final five outs to secure his second save. From there, Ole Miss turned to its dominant bullpen, and the Rebel relievers delivered, culminating with a full-count strikeout of Logan Foster by right-hander Parker Caracci with the winning run at the plate. Golsan then cracked his second RBI double of the game down the right field line.
Left fielder Thomas Dillard started a two-out rally in the fifth, reaching on a fielding error.
Ole Miss wins a weekend series where all three games were decided by 1 run.
The Aggies broke through first, scoring one in the second inning after an errant throw by catcher Nick Fortes erased was would've been an inning-ending 1-2-3 double play.
A&M scored two more in the bottom of the seventh.
The Aggies and Rebels will battle on Saturday to determine the victor of the series. He pitched tremendously, retiring consecutive batters to end the inning.
Then came the game's biggest at-bat. The Aggies threatened in the eighth after a potential groundout bounced off of second base and into center.
Ole Miss improves to 21-2 on the season and 3-1 in Southeastern Conference play, taking a tense Game 1 pitchers' duel between the top two pitching staffs in the league. The Rebels and Aggies will once again meet at 6 p.m. CT on SEC Network.
Sign up to receive Hottytoddy.com morning and evening headline emails HERE!
- Facebook Adding Messenger App Features
- Revival of Active Stocks to Gainer: Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX)
- Thousands gather worldwide to march for gun control
- Creative Planning Sells 363208 Shares of Walt Disney Co (NYSE:DIS)
- Aussie Lucas Browne KO'd by Dillian Whyte in heavyweight title fight
- 2 militants killed in Dooru gunfight
- Trump 'considering' veto of $1.3 trillion budget bill
- Exynos 9610 to bring about the best in Samsung of yet
- Top players from the Elite 8 teams — March Madness
- Russia's ambassador to the European Union downplays detoriorating relations with the bloc