Our friends at the Bureau of Meteorology have announced that the latest divine reparation to skirt our flawless shores is Tropical Cyclone Linda, now a fair ways off the coast of Queensland, in the Coral Sea - around 1100 km east of Mackay. Winds of 65 km/h were measured at its core yesterday, with gusts of up to 95 km/h as the system moved south-southwest.
Tropical #CycloneLinda is expected to track towards the Queensland coast today, whipping up unsafe surf conditions.
Risky surf with waves up to four metres high and strong winds are expected to lash the Queensland coastline as Tropical Cyclone Linda makes its way south.
City of Gold Coast confirmed that all Gold Coast beaches have been closed today with a Hazardous Surf Warning for Queensland now in place.
The large and powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as rock fishing, swimming and surfing, with people being urged to stay out of the water and avoid walking near surf-exposed areas.
Current predictions have Linda passing by the coast without making landfall, turning back into a tropical low by early morning on March 15th (Thursday).
'We are expecting to see strong winds and large swells and abnormally high tides, ' spokesman Jason Argent said.
He said beaches are being closely monitored and will be closed if necessary.
Surf Life Saving Queensland said beachgoers need to be extra vigilant with waves up to four metres possible.
Tropical Cyclone Linda, a category 1 cyclone, has formed in the Coral Sea. A severe weather warning iscurrent for these conditions.
The warning comes after the north of Queensland has been devastated by floods which last week was declared a disaster situation.
- Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT) Position Lifted by AlphaStar Capital Management LLC
- State Dept. of Revenue, IRS warn of potential tax scams
- Princess Eugenie Makes Instagram Debut
- MS Dhoni speaks out on Mohammed Shami scenario
- Liberman to Netanyahu: No need to initiate early elections
- EXACT Sciences (NASDAQ:EXAS) Rating Lowered to Buy at BidaskClub
- Jurassic World game nabs Goldblum
- Dog dies on United Airlines flight after being placed in overhead bin
- Jaya Bachchan declares assets worth INR10bn
- The Crown Paid the Queen Less Than the Prince