New Zealand has censured its second-ranking diplomat in Washington after tweets were posted from her Twitter account saying USA democrats need to get their act together for the next presidential election "or we will all die".
"No it couldn't. Please get your shit together or we will all die", she replied, likely referencing her concerns about President Trump's administration.
It had been promoting a piece about the potential of a Bernie Sanders - Elizabeth Warren presidential ticket to challenge Donald Trump in 2020.
Caroline Beresford, Wellington's second-ranked diplomat in the United States, tweeted "get your sh*t together", the discussing Bernie Sanders-Elizabeth Warren Democratic ticket against Trump in the 2020 election.
Two of Caroline Beresford's tweets about the Democratic Party, since deleted.
A spokesperson for the New Zealand ministry of foreign affairs and trade said they were aware of Beresford's tweets and were taking "appropriate action".
Beresford said in an email to Newsroom that she "realized very quickly" the tweets were "inappropriate" and deleted them. "Our code of conduct and guidelines around the use of social media set very clear expectations of staff when making public comment, including maintaining political neutrality and care in expressing personal opinion".
"In response, New Zealand's foreign ministry censured Beresford".
Caroline Beresford, deputy head of mission at the New Zealand Embassy in Washington DC.
A spokesman for New Zealand's foreign minister, Winston Peters, said he was "confident the ministry is responding in an appropriate way", according to the Times. Her dog was the catalyst for the first phone call between President Donald Trump and then-Prime Minister Bill English.
- Pregnant woman in bikini gives birth to baby in The Red Sea
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ launched with improved performance
- Grand Theft Auto 6 Rumors: A Return to Vice City in 2021?
- Trading Statistics of QUALCOMM Incorporated (QCOM)
- A Fresh Look At Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE:MRO)
- Canada backs 2026 World Cup bid, provides millions for the process
- Best bets for First Four games
- Reporter's eye roll causes trouble with Chinese censors
- Maruti Suzuki Swift likely to get a six-speed gearbox
- Peak bloom for DC's cherry blossoms delayed by frigid temps