To remedy it, Google began improving visual discovery by adding more context to the image results page. Image captions are starting to roll out globally this week on the Google app (Android and iOS) and on mobile browsers. There's no word yet on whether the feature will roll out to desktop browsers, which have a slightly different look than mobile web browsers.
Last year, Google had started to show badges, such as "recipe" or "product", on particular results to help people discover images easily.
Google Images has been under a lot of criticism lately for removing the direct link to images in their search results. Since then, we've also added the website's domain URL for each result to show you where the image is coming from. It shows the title of the web page which should give you more information about where the image came from and its context. Yehoshua Coren posted on Twitter a screen shot of him going to Google and Google returning the answer and a button to show search results. Google said that searchers "rarely use the full search results" for these types of queries and if they want it, they can click the "show all results" button. This extra context makes it easier to know when you found the right image.
Today, Google pushed out an update to Google Images which provides even better visual discovery with more context on the image results page. For instance, you can learn that this fruit is called carambola or starfruit, and that it's popular in China.
- Monster Hunter World Adding Mega Man Palico Gear April 13
- Honor 9 Lite To Be Available For RM699 Again, Today Only
- Canada backs 2026 World Cup bid, provides millions for the process
- Sega Mega Drive Collection headed to PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Paul Merson makes big claim about next Arsenal manager
- Southwest Virginia fares poorly in new health rankings
- Lynda Carter reveals harassment on Wonder Woman set, her own #MeToo story
- Best bets for First Four games
- Seahawks sign Bradley McDougald to new deal, let Shead become free agent
- Lloyds Banking Group's (LON:LLOY) Buy Rating Reaffirmed at Shore Capital