The Swiss star's young son, Lenny, watched from a box wearing a Superman cap.
In the victory, Federer won 89 percent of his first serve points and 57 percent of his second serve points.
However, after levelling up at 2-2, Federer hurried to a one-set lead in the next four games, winning three of them to love. "I was playing aggressive and feeling like he was not loving my slice, and then also mixing in with drop shots eventually", Federer said".
"For me it felt like first match I ever played on the tour", Djokovic was quoted by the ATP official website as saying on Monday.
Kvitova entered the match on a 14-match win streak, moving back into the top 10. Cuevas was leading 3-6, 6-4, 4-2 when Thiem packed it in.
"I probably won't play in the very beginning, you know, meaning Monaco". "There's always next week and the week after".
Frenchman Gael Monfils survived a match point before beating big-serving American John Isner 6-7 (5) 7-6 (3) 7-5 in a contest that had only one break. She won in the desert in 2011 and has been runner-up twice.
Borna Coric of Croatia upset 13th seed Roberto Bautista Agut 6-1 6-3 and Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta defeated Daniil Medvedev 6-1 7-5.
But Djokovic fell at the first hurdle with a shock loss to Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel, who sent the out-of-sorts Serb tumbling with a hard-fought 7-6 (7/3), 4-6, 6-1 victory.
It was Djokovic's first appearance since the Australian Open after undergoing a minor surgery to fix an ongoing elbow injury, but it lasted just two and a half hours as he was knocked out by the 109 ranked Japanese 7-6, 4-6, 6-1.
- World number 1 Simona Halep in last eight
- Three-peat: Another major winter storm batters the Northeast
- Amazon Canada Previously Lists Splinter Cell 2018 On Its Website
- Where to get deals for National Pi Day
- Investec Asset Management LTD Trims Stake in Mondelez International Inc (NASDAQ:MDLZ)
- Duterte withdraws from ICC 'effective immediately'
- Citadel Advisors LLC Cuts Position in Corporate Office Properties Trust (NYSE:OFC)
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ launched with improved performance
- Maruti Suzuki Swift likely to get a six-speed gearbox
- Sierra Leone to Hold Runoff Vote As Opposition Wins First Round