News of Tillerson's departure from the State Department came as the Secretary arrived back to Washington after his overseas visit to Africa, where he reaffirmed the U.S. -Africa relationship in spite of alleged vulgar comments made by the President about immigrants from African nations back in January. "Congratulations to all!" Trump said on Twitter. "A great deal has been accomplished over the last fourteen months, and I wish him and his family well". Haspel will be the first woman to serve in the position.
The move comes just hours after the former secretary of state Rex Tillerson appeared to veer away from the official White House line to declare that Russian Federation was probably behind an attempt to poison a former double agent, adding that the perpetrators should face punishment.
Tillerson navigated storms involving Trump's decision to cease implementing the Paris Climate Accord, escalating tensions with the North Korean regime, and questions over Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
Trump also announced that Gina Haspel would replace Pompeo as CIA director - making her the first woman to ever head the country's top spy agency.
- CDC chief: Missing epidemiologist was not passed over for promotion
- Seminoles return to NCAA tournament, will open against Missouri
- Tillerson seeks neutral site for Trump-Kim talks
- One killed, two others wounded in shootings at Plant City office
- Federer rolls into fourth round of Indian Wells
- Penn State vs. Temple - 3/14/18 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Redmi 5 To Be Launched In India As An Amazon Exclusive
- Craig Mack: Rapper and P Diddy protege dies aged 46
- Allianz Asset Management GmbH Grows Stake in Barrick Gold Corp (NYSE:ABX)
- Paul Pogba Named in Manchester United's Champions League Squad to Face Sevilla