Approximately five years and three months passed between the Sandy Hook shooting and the demonstration; in that period of time by those figures, the number of children killed by guns would be roughly 6,825. "Together they held up a sign that read "#NotOneMore", indicating that no more children should have to go through the pain, caused by gun violence.
The shoes will be donated when the monument is dismantled.
The event mirrors a similar display the group put on following the 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris ahead of the Global Climate Summit.
On that day, a total of 20 children and six adults were killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in CT. "I think this kind of event with shoes offers a very powerful metaphor both for how we miss the victims who once filled those shoes, and also for how we see ourselves wanting to walk in their place, seeking change, so that others don't have to walk this painful journey". More than 2,500 walkouts are scheduled across the country, according to the organizer's website.
"When students protest at schools, our school staff will respond appropriately and allow our students to be heard", said Robert Runcie, superintendent for public schools for Broward County, Florida, where Parkland's Marjory Stoneman is located.
The silent protest is meant to spur lawmakers to take action on gun reforms.
Many Canadian cities have marked the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women on December 6 with similar "shoe memorials".
- Cyclone alert for Kerala coast: Heavy rain, strong winds likely
- Suhana Khan bags first project, mom Gauri can't keep calm
- Iraq lifts ban on intl flights to Kurdistan airports
- Theni Forest Fire: How Women's Day special expedition turned into a tragedy
- Buhari Writes NASS To Withhold Electoral Act Amendment
- Probation in Body Fluids Case at Hartford
- Rex Tillerson to help Nigerian govt get abducted girls freed
- Bidhya Devi Bhandari contests for second term
- Gigi Hadid & Zayn Malik Split After 2 Years of Dating
- State of Decay 2 Won't Have Microtransactions