According to the Associated Press, the office filed the formal notice Tuesday.
USA prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for the teenager accused of killing 17 people at a Florida high school last month.
A Broward County grand jury last week indicted the 19-year-old gunman on 17 counts of premeditated murder in the first degree and 17 counts of attempted murder in the first degree.
The Broward State Attorney's Office announced Tuesday it will seek the death penalty against the 19-year-old gunman who attacked Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland last month.
But the State Attorney's Office wouldn't take capital punishment off the table, listing seven "aggravating factors" that a jury can use to justify ordering Cruz's execution for the February 14 shooting rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Cruz is set to be formally arraigned on Wednesday.
Cruz's attorneys have said he would plead guilty if the death penalty was not pursued in the Valentine's Day massacre.
For murdering 17 people in Florida's worst school shooting, Nikolas Cruz should be sentenced to death by execution, prosecutors say. "If we are not allowed to do so tomorrow, we will stand mute to the charges".
His previous not guilty plea indicated that Cruz denied his alleged role in the shooting, even though the evidence against him is overwhelming and Cruz himself has confessed to authorities, they say.
- USDA withdraws animal welfare rule
- Trump fires his personal assistant, John McEntee, then Trump campaign hires him
- Buffalo Bills, Star Lotulelei agree to 5-year deal
- Matt Damon and Ben Affleck Vow to Embrace the Inclusion Rider Clause
- Revenue Estimates Analysis Of Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY)
- Gang member shot dead in court after he rushes witness stand
- Trump says he fired Tillerson due to disagreement over Iran deal
- 1 killed after bus carrying Texas students plunges into Alabama ravine
- Mandy Teefey Had Nothing to Do with Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez's Split
- Fitbit Launches More Affordable Smart Watch and Tracker