According to USA Today, the couple donated $200,000 to the fundraiser on behalf of Chicago.
In addition, Wade challenged his fellow players to join the cause, gaining support from fellow National Basketball Association player Carmelo Anthony.
In honor of those lives lost at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Dwayne Wade has dedicated a special exhibit called "Parkland 17" during Art Walk. The donations will cover the expenses of rally, with an extra money going towards the victim's families. Adam Alhanti, a junior at Stoneman Douglas, praised the gesture.
The horrific tragedy struck Wade personally after it was brought to his attention one of the victims, Joaquin Oliver, was a huge fan of his and even requested to be buried in Wade's No. 3 Heat jersey. It was the first full day of classes since the shooting.
"It's great. It's great to hear", Wade said.
While Wade joined the Heat in Portland for the start of the team's three-game road trip, he was never considered likely to be available for Monday's contest after straining his left hamstring in Miami's victory over Washington on Saturday. It's great to see that, because I come from a community in Chicago where our youth are getting killed daily and don't have the same voice, don't have the same light on them that Parkland has.
Wade's mother, Jolinda, and his sister, Tragil, met and spoke with Joaquin's parents, Manuel and Patricia, at their Coral Springs, Florida, home.
- Rakitic keeps door open for Neymar return
- White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- Why Trump's tariff move may actually benefit China
- Liverpool fear nobody in Champions League, says Firmino
- Aditya Narayan arrested after his vehicle hits an autorickshaw
- Charlotte Vs Asuka Gets Endorsement From Hall of Famer
- Richard Sherman: Chance to Face Seahawks Behind 49ers Switch
- Don't ask me for free PSL 2018 final tickets: Najam Sethi
- Case Keenum to Sign Contract with Broncos After 1 Year with Vikings
- Pilot survives as five passengers die in NY helicopter crash