"We are extremely anxious about the consequences of a trade war and are urging the White House to not advance with this plan", House Speaker Paul D. Ryan spokeswoman AshLee Strong said last week.
But on Friday, he will be in Manchester, New Hampshire, to deliver remarks on "Country Over Party" at a "Politics and Eggs" event.
Flake said the United States represents 20 percent of the world's economic output and just 5 percent of the world's population.
Flake's move came amid a loud chorus of criticism from Republicans, traditionally a free-trade party, for Trump's action.
Flake, whom many speculate has his own presidential ambitions, did not indicate whether he meant to be that challenger.
On "Meet the Press", Flake said "tariffs are awful" for the economy and "tariffs married to uncertainty is probably even worse", referring to Trump's suggestion that he may allow certain exemptions and the possibility that the president may impose other tariffs. "Somebody who voices, you know, reservations about where the president is or criticizes his behavior.it's tough to be re-elected in a Republican primary".
Trump announced late last week that he would slap a 25 percent tariff on imported steel and a 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum.
Historically proponents of free trade, several Republicans dubbed the measures "stupid" and "misguided" - if the United States increases the cost of both materials, they hold, American producers of vehicles and other products will suffer setbacks on the global playing field, and consumers will pay more.
"I think we're going completely the wrong direction", Flake said.
I understand free trade is sometimes a challenge.
"If we don't trade, we don't grow". So I think it does real damage long-term to the political culture.
Todd asked him if other Republicans should join him in condemning Trump's behavior. "I understand that it's a challenge on the campaign trail, certainly", Flake said on Monday. "Today I'm defending America's national security by placing tariffs on foreign imports of steel and aluminum".
- Freeport-McMoRan Inc (FCX) Expected to Announce Earnings of $0.60 Per Share
- Firmino: Liverpool hoping to face English opposition in Champions League
- Miami art exhibit honors victims of Stoneman Douglas shooting
- Oil prices fall on relentless rise in USA crude output
- Roger Federer crushes Filip Krajinovic in Indian Wells last 32
- Man Utd contact Neymar: Jose Mourinho desperate to land PSG star
- Kirk Cousins having crew follow him, film his free-agent journey
- HBO orders Nicole Kidman limited series The Undoing
- Price Target Overview of Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. (DKS)
- South Korean President: summits to bring significant change