Federer returned to stadium court on Sunday afternoon and needed an hour to finish off his second round victory 6-3, 7-6. "Back in the day I used to play six matches in the row".
In the women's competition, number one seed Simona Halep of Romania recovered from a 6-1 first set loss to Caroline Dolehide of the United States to eventually emerge victorious after winning the last two sets 7-6, 6-2. After another 90-minute delay, the organisers suspended play for the night. Federer and 10th seed Djokovic both came into the tournament seeking to become the first six-time victor of the event.
The Serb was once the most dominant player around - winning four straight grand slam titles from 2015 to 2016 - but little of that scintillating form was on display when the 12-time grand slam victor was upset by Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel 7-6 (7-3) 4-6 6-1 in the second round in Indian Wells on Sunday.
The Swiss maestro is unbeaten since the start of the season having won both the tournaments he has entered thus far - the Australian Open in January and the Rotterdam Open the following month.
"It felt like first match I ever played on the tour", Djokovic said.
Wozniacki, who won her first Grand Slam at this year's Australian Open, came through in three sets 6-4 2-6 6-3. "I mean, I just completely lost rhythm, everything", he said. "And even though you don't have pain, you are still thinking about it, because it has been something that I have been feeling and dragging for over two years", Djokovic said.
Djokovic had four aces but served poorly overall, making four double faults.
"I haven't really checked out my draw entirely", he said. Let's just say Jeremy Chardy is going to get his full attention over the next couple of days.
Frenchman Gael Monfils survived a match point before beating big-serving American John Isner 6-7 (5) 7-6 (3) 7-5 in a contest that had only one break. The win sets up a third round showdown with Spaniard David Ferrer who defeated Tennys Sandgren of the United States 6-2, 7-6 (7/3).
- South Korean President: summits to bring significant change
- Price Target Overview of Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. (DKS)
- Miami art exhibit honors victims of Stoneman Douglas shooting
- Pilot survives as five passengers die in NY helicopter crash
- HBO orders Nicole Kidman limited series The Undoing
- White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- Raptors ready to snap at National Basketball Association title rivals
- Roger Federer crushes Filip Krajinovic in Indian Wells last 32
- How major U.S. stock indexes fared Monday
- Manila slams United Nations rights chief