Sea condition will be "rough" to "very rough" over Comorin-Maldives area and adjoining sea areas during until tomorrow and over Lakshadweep area and adjoining South-East Arabian Sea until Thursday.
With a depression over Southeast Arabian sea likely to intensify in the next 48 hours, Kerala government on Tuesday issued a fresh alert and directed officials to be prepared to face any emergency. "We have been informed that the depression has deepened and it is now 390 km south-southeast of Thiruvananthapuram coast".
According to the India Meteorological department, low pressure area over equatorial Indian Ocean and adjoining southwest Bay of Bengal and south Sri Lanka coast now lies as a well marked low pressure area over Equatorial Indian Ocean and adjoining south Sri Lanka and Maldives-Comorin area. Coast Guard ships are on standby while the government has set up two control rooms in Alappuzha and Thiruvananthapuram.
The chief minister had instructed officers concerned to ensure that no fishermen ventured out to sea.
Rainfall is forecast at a few places in Lakshadweep today and at most places with heavy to very heavy falls at a few places tomorrow and until Thursday.
Meanwhile, the state's chief secretary Paul Antony met senior officers of various departments to review preparations.
The agency warned fishermen and residents against venturing into the sea off the coasts southern Tamil Nadu and Kerala coasts and the equatorial Indian Ocean, Gulf of Mannar, and Lakshadweep region.
The fresh alert comes hours after the state government on Monday night asked officials to ensure return of fishermen engaged in deep-sea fishing in view of the weather system.
However, the government along the the State Disaster Management Committee have issued early warnings and are taking measures to safeguard the coastal areas this time.
Last year, cyclone Ockhi has barrelled into the Lakshwadeep islands after drenching the neighboring states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Danny Amendola reportedly will sign with Dolphins
- National Football League free agency: Bills have 'some interest' in QB Sam Bradford
- ICE spokesperson resigns after refusing to perpetuate Trump administration's fake news
- Shia LaBeouf blames Georgia arrest on 'white privilege'
- Gigi Hadid & Zayn Malik Split After 2 Years of Dating
- Theni Forest Fire: How Women's Day special expedition turned into a tragedy
- Rex Tillerson to help Nigerian govt get abducted girls freed
- Probation in Body Fluids Case at Hartford
- Taylor Swift Returns to Her Roots, Casts Gay Porn Star
- Apple opens WWDC 2018 registration: June 4-8 in San Jose