Awasthi said a patrolling party of the paramilitary was going from Kistaram to Palodi in an anti-landmine vehicle when it was targeted by Naxals by triggering an IED laden in the area.
The martyrs have been identified as Ajay Kumar Yadav, Jitendra Singh, Shabit Ku Sharma, Manoj Singh, RKS Tomar, Manoranjan Lenka, Dharmendra Singh, Chandra H.S. and Laxman.
The mine-protected vehicle (MPV) was blown up by multiple improvised explosive devices (IEDs) concealed under the dirt track, a senior official said.
The security men were conducting an area-domination operation in the forest of Kistaram when the Maoists blew up the CRPF's mine-protected vehicle, he said.
The injured personnel were being rescued from the spot and airlifted to the State capital. "Extra force has reached the spot, there is no firing at present".
According to officials, an encounter broke out between the jawans and the Maoists around 8 am.
The site of the IED blast in Sukma.
"Maoists feared that the development works in Bastar will uproot them from the region, therefore, they committed such a cowardly and shameful attack", he added.
Attacking the Centre, Gandhi said the incident reflected a "deteriorating" internal security situation due to "flawed policies".
In a tweet, Mr Singh said, he has spoken to the Director General of CRPF regarding the incident and has asked him to leave for Chhattisgarh.
Reacting to the attack, Union Home MInister Rajnath Singh said, "My heartfelt condolences to the families of those personnel who lost their lives in Sukma blast".
On March 11, 2017, suspected Maoists ambushed a CRPF road-opening team and killed 12 troopers in Sukma.
- ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro receiving Android 8.0 Oreo update
- Seminoles return to NCAA tournament, will open against Missouri
- OECD upgrades global and Japan growth outlooks for 2018 and 2019
- Bonaventure gets NCAA Tourney at large bid
- Ball in Manchester United's court as Old Trafford prepares for Sevilla
- Trump fires Tillerson, names first woman head of CIA
- One killed, two others wounded in shootings at Plant City office
- Sammy Watkins, Chiefs Agree To Three-year Contract
- Federer rolls into fourth round of Indian Wells
- Redmi 5 To Be Launched In India As An Amazon Exclusive