"Game of Thrones" fans have known from the first season (Ned Stark, nooooo!) that author George R.R. Martin is willing to kill off any character, no matter how beloved.
Luckily, network executives provided a few more details at "The Best of HBO" panel at the INTB conference in Israel on Tuesday.
HBO drama chief Francesca Orsi spoke on a panel in Jerusalem, and confirmed actresses Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman were able to negotiate a massive raise for season two of the show, particularly given Apple's foray into television.
"None of the cast had received the scripts prior, and one by one they started to fall down to their deaths", she said, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Orsi said HBO is planning between three and five spinoffs, but that doesn't mean each spinoff will make it into the development phase. "Then there was applause that lasted 15 minutes".
HBO senior VP of drama Francesca Orsi revealed that the spinoff shows are being granted hefty budgets greater than what Game of Thrones had to work with in its early days.
Orsi, however, did admit that HBO is facing a budget conundrum. "As a show goes on they get more expensive and as shows get more ambitious they will get more expensive", he said. Orsi said the network was put in an especially tough spot following the surprise second season renewal of "Big Little Lies", which was originally conceived at HBO as a one-and-done "limited series".
Bloys said Netflix's volume demands explained the company's recent mega-deals with Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes.
When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.
An HBO executive says she regrets her choice of words when discussing the renewal of Big Little Lies.
"The reason they're getting paid so much is they're so prolific", he said. Amazon is not paying for the travel, which is somewhat of a disgrace and Amazon needs to know that.
- How Barbershops Could Play a Role in Lowering Blood Pressure
- ICON builds a 3D house in under 24 hours
- SC upholds barring of foreign law firms from practicing in India
- Stock Jumping Abnormally High: General Electric Company (NYSE:GE)
- Toronto stocks, loonie close higher, while U.S. markets mixed
- Sonam Kapoor Confirms The Zoya Factor Release Date
- Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) Cut to "Sell" at ValuEngine
- Pogba included in Man Utd squad to face Sevilla
- Big Sean & Jhene Aiko's Relationship reportedly hits Rough Patch over Nicole Scherzinger
- Last Fantasy 7 Remake: What We Know So Far