He may have downplayed the importance of United's win over Liverpool as compared to their upcoming fixtures but it certainly augurs well for them that they beat one of their biggest traditional rivals at Old Trafford just before a crucial Champions League clash.
'I think he will stay, ' Mourinho told La Sexta.
"I said when he first signed, he is a Man United player, he suits the way we play, he has got that excitement, he always looks forward, he is dynamic and in the end you can judge him in the first few games or whatever but I think over time he will be terrific and I have no doubts about it".
Mourinho led Porto to an unlikely triumph in the 2003-04 competition and did likewise with Inter six years later.
"When a team gets into the last eight, the feeling is you are among the best, but anything can happen".
United's midfield three of Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez and Juan Mata in the first leg was designed with counter-attacking purposes in mind - a triumvirate capable of supplying and finishing off one killer pass to make all the difference - but it ultimately caused the visitors to stagnate and regress during the game.
"We know it's going to be tough, it's a very competitive even-stevens game".
"We'll be playing 100 percent to try and achieve that".
The decision to not go looking for an away goal against a side that has lost heavily to the likes of Spartak Moscow, Eibar and Real Betis this season will come back to haunt Mourinho if United fail to progress.
"This a very hard match". It's a team with a big tradition.
"I do not feel like we have any advantage at this moment".
Marcus Rashford's double put the Red Devils ahead by half-time but Liverpool were gifted a lifeline in the second half when Bailly's botched clearance ended up beating David De Gea.
Defenders Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind are expected to remain on the sidelines with midfielder Ander Herrera.
- CM Punk claims he'll return to octagon at UFC 225 in Chicago
- Miami art exhibit honors victims of Stoneman Douglas shooting
- Penn State vs. Temple - 3/14/18 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- After Perth, Ola drives into Sydney
- Central AL Forecast: Sunshine, clear skies, and cool temps
- BYU receives 6 seed in NIT, will play Stanford in first round
- Manila slams United Nations rights chief
- U.S. thinking about further tariffs on Chinese consumer goods and investments
- Rakitic keeps door open for Neymar return
- CDC chief: Missing epidemiologist was not passed over for promotion