The show, which has undergone a makeover with new judges-Katy Perry, Lionel Richie, and Luke Bryan-and a new network (ABC), is proof the series can still hit some sweet notes 16 years after its original debut on Fox.
Season two finalist and CT resident Kimberley Locke gives us a whole recap. In this first episode, we meet potential contestants from New York, Savannah, Los Angeles and New Orleans.
Sunday night's "Idol" broadcast delivered ABC's biggest premiere ratings in the time slot since the supernatural drama "Resurrection" bowed to 13.9 million viewers and a 3.8 in the demo back in March 2014. Catie Turner from Pennsylvania sings the judges an original song called "21st Century Machine", and wins them over with her unique perspective and strong sense of self. Glaze nervously agreed, and when he leaned in for a second cheek-kiss, Perry turned her face so their lips connected, which surprised Glaze so much he fell backward. One of the stars launched by "Idol", Kelly Clarkson, is now a panelist on NBC's "The Voice". The judges never put down people who came down to auditions. The panel applauded his ability to make such music from such a bare but beloved instrument, and his golden ticket capped an unexpectedly moving first night. He started playing guitar when he was 16 years old. But Richie said that Seacrest is still the anchor that holds the show together. Trevor sang Brett Young's "In Case You Didn't Know", changing the lyrics to "In case you didn't know/Katy, I'm insane 'bout you".
"You're so hot", Katy said. She sang Ariana Grande's "Almost Is Never Enough" with professionalism far beyond her years. The GRAMMY victor got up from the judge's table and walked over to Francisco to give him a hug.
You look at someone like Layla Spring, who's the same age as Alyssa, and it's clear that Layla's young age/lack of experience really showed during her performance, despite having some really nice moments in the song.
Dennis, a 26-year-old singer from Philadelphia, PA, performed "Unaware" by Allen Stone. "We don't have to convince ourselves that this sounds good - it just does", Perry says.
- Buying millennial railcard 'harder than getting Glastonbury tickets'
- Matt Damon and Ben Affleck Vow to Embrace the Inclusion Rider Clause
- Bears to sign Super Bowl hero Trey Burton
- In Myanmar, "Facebook has now turned into a beast", United Nations investigators say
- Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) Cut to "Sell" at ValuEngine
- Trump fires his personal assistant, John McEntee, then Trump campaign hires him
- 'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald' Poster Teases the Deathly Hallows
- Fitbit Launches More Affordable Smart Watch and Tracker
- Big Sean & Jhene Aiko's Relationship reportedly hits Rough Patch over Nicole Scherzinger
- How Barbershops Could Play a Role in Lowering Blood Pressure