Channelview ISD confirms the tour bus that crashed into a ravine in Alabama this morning was carrying band students from Channelview High School. The interstate was closed in each direction as passengers were taken to hospitals.
Elliot said that the wounded were transported to three hospitals in Mobile, Alabama, and Pensacola, Florida, as well as a free-standing emergency room in Baldwin County.
The bus that crashed was one of two carrying students on the trip.
Authorities in Alabama say a charter tour bus carrying students on a school trip from Houston, Texas, has plunged into a ravine, with multiple injuries reported. He said he did not know how many passengers were injured, but said they were "numerous". Chief Deputy Anthony Lowery with the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office.
Reports indicated between 12 and 20 people suffered injuries, and about 50 people were on the bus, according to WKRG. He said at least one person had to be cut out of the wreckage.
Officials at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, Florida, said the facility received 20 patients from the crash.
Family members said 11 the students were on their way home to Channelview after a spring break trip to Disney.
"I pray for a speedy recovery for all those injured, and I am especially grateful for the heroic actions of the Alabama first responders that undoubtedly helped save lives today", Abbott said.
The Baldwin County call center is being brought online to field calls regarding the passengers and their locations, according to the Sheriff's Office.
A call center was established at 251-972-6807 for family members looking for their relatives who were aboard the bus, authorities said. He also said officials from the National Transportation Safety Board were on their way to the crash scene.
The bus was operated by the First Class Tours charter company out of Houston.
- SC upholds barring of foreign law firms from practicing in India
- ICON builds a 3D house in under 24 hours
- Bears to sign Super Bowl hero Trey Burton
- Fitbit Launches More Affordable Smart Watch and Tracker
- Buffalo Bills, Star Lotulelei agree to 5-year deal
- Vu ActiVoice Android TVs launched, will go on sale from March 16
- Mohamed Salah transfer value rises highest in Europe this season
- Kim Kardashian Visits Kanye West in Jackson Hole: All the Details
- Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) Cut to "Sell" at ValuEngine
- Stock Jumping Abnormally High: General Electric Company (NYSE:GE)