India and Sri Lanka must promote greater progress in trade, commerce, connectivity and development cooperation, President Ram Nath Kovind said after Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena met him at the Rashtrapati Bhawan here on Saturday.
Sirisena will participate in a special business and investment conference during his visit, a statement from his office said.
President Sirisena thanked French President Macron and Indian Prime Minister Modi for their leadership to make the ISA initiative a success and pointed out the presence of such a large number of Government Heads and Government Representatives is a significance of the importance of ISA Summit.
Japanese investors have shown increased interest in the island with the end of the 30-year civil war.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that President Sirisena is in Japan at the invitation of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and will conclude his visit on the 17th.
On the sidelines of the conference, he also held talks with Djibouti President Ismail Omar Guelleh, Rwandan President Paul Kagame and Somalia's Deputy Prime Minister Mahdi Mohamed Guled.
Senior Presidential Media Director, Dharma Sri Bandara Ekanayake said that this State visit draws much significance exclusively because it is at the invitation of the Japanese Prime Minister.
The President further said about the steps that have been taken to control the use of plastic in Sri Lanka in a background where the marine pollution is a vast problem.
Ministers Tilak Marapana and Nimal Siripala de Silva, Members of Parliament and officials are accompanying the president in this tour.
- Court dismisses Gupta firms' bid to halt Bank of Baroda's SA exit
- Allegri: Juventus have won nothing yet
- CBSE discontinues various subjects taught at Class IX and XI
- Cristiano Ronaldo nets two scores, Real Madrid beats Eibar
- Law student involved in drunk driving case in Mukherjee Nagar, New Delhi
- AAA Michigan: Average gas prices rise 5 cents
- Philip Hammond to announce United Kingdom economic cheer in Spring Statement
- Video appears to show Iowa Senate leader kissing lobbyist at bar
- Manchester United's Paul Pogba trains 'a little bit' ahead of Sevilla
- Sunday is the last day to buy Girl Scout Cookies in Colorado