The U.S. Army Cadet Command approved the JROTC Heroism Medal for three Cadets who lost their lives during last week's Florida high school shooting.
An army spokesman says they are being awarded the Medal of Heroism due to their fearless actions during the attack.
While Petty received her Heroism Medal during her funeral Monday, Duque will be awarded his medal at his Saturday service.
Separately, the United States Military Academy at West Point announced Tuesday it would posthumously offer acceptance to Wang, according to a statement from the academy. Petty, a member of JROTC, was killed Wednesday's mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The family will also receive a second "keepsake" medal.
"He was pointing the door open for other people to escape and then he was struck by the bullets", classmate and friend Aiden Ortiz told ABC affiliate WPLG. "The performance must have involved the acceptable of danger and extraordinary responsibilities, exemplifying praiseworthy fortitude and courage".
Capt. Shahin Uddin will provide Wang's family with the letter of admission, West Point alumni Chad Maxey told the Sun-Sentinel. "West Point has given posthumous offers of admissions in very rare instances for those candidates or potential candidates whose actions exemplified the tenets of duty, honor and country".
The American Legion (a US Army veteran's organisation) Sunrise Post 365 tweeted on 18 February: "It is with broken hearts that Sunrise Post 365 & Stoneman Douglas JROTC shares the loss of our soaring eagles!"
But Cruz's ties to the corps - The Associated Press reported that he had honed his shooting skills on its marksmanship team - raised troubling questions. Other members of JROTC protected a classroom full of students by creating a barrier out of kevlar in front of them, and standing guard by the door.
The Daily Caller News Foundation is working hard to balance out the biased American media.
- Future of Florida Shooter's Big Trust Fund in Judge's Hands
- Kick 2: Sajid Nadiadwala confirms Jacqueline Fernandez in Salman Khan's sequel film
- Which antidepressants work best?
- Germany's Sonnen to set up a battery plant in South Australia
- Parkland students turned away from meeting Florida lawmakers
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Review
- Trump's note card for Parkland shooting discussion: 'I hear you'
- Tinder vulnerability let hackers take over accounts with just a phone number
- Jennifer Lawrence fires back at 'utterly ridiculous' criticism of her 'sexist' dress
- Woman who hosted Nikolas Cruz wanted to 'strangle' him at police station