While this isn't the first shooting at a school in 2018, something has sparked the high school students both at Majory Stoneman Douglas and throughout the USA, including teens from the DC area who organized a mass lie-in outside the White House yesterday to demand gun reform.
The bill has bi-partisan support, with lead Senators Cornyn and Chris Murphy (D-Connecticut) both experiencing tragedies in their respective states, including the Sutherland Spring, Texas church shooting last November, and at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT in 2012. Critics saw that announcement as a strategic ploy to divert attention from stricter gun control proposals.
The device was used by a 64 year old who rained bullets on a crowd at an outdoor country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip in October last year.
They are taking up the cudgel for the nation, and invite us all to join them in their fight for gun control.
Moments earlier, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Trump ordered the Justice Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to review bump fire stocks, which she said had been completed.
Trump has been historically opposed to gun control, but has been on-record of saying that "I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun". Among other changes, the legislation would hold federal agencies accountable for keeping relevant information out of the database.
House lawmakers approved legislation in December to loosen gun regulations and allow those with permits for carrying concealed weapons to legally travel with those firearms to other states, which was a top priority of the National Rifle Association. He told them he was affected by seeing victims at a Florida hospital Friday evening. 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz was arrested and faces charges in connection with the killings.
Trump has not mentioned limiting gun access in his response to the most recent shooting.
"Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem".
The Women's March youth branch, EMPOWER, is also organizing a national school walk out on March 14, the one month anniversary of the Florida shooting. Trump campaigned in 2016 on a commitment to protecting the Second Amendment.
Trump offered no evidence that there was any connection between the investigation of Russian meddling and the FBI's failure to prevent the Florida shooting.
The president publicly has said little about the victims, but he refrained from golfing, which aides said was to show respect.
"Have a great, but very reflective, Presidents' Day!" he tweeted.
- Battlefield 1's Apocalypse expansion closes out the Premium Pass today
- Jefferies Group Brokers Boost Earnings Estimates for Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE:PXD)
- Faf du Plessis in doubt for first Test against Australia
- Unbelievable! India's lunar mission costs less than this Hollywood blockbuster!
- Distribution rights: Rajnikanth wife faces the music
- BSF kills smuggler along Indo-Pak border in Punjab, seizes 10kg heroin
- No Change to Synlait And A2 Supply Arrangements
- Currently Overpriced Or Underpriced? - General Mills, Inc. (GIS), Sysco Corporation (SYY)
- Ross Stores, Inc. (ROST) Holdings Boosted by Cadinha & Co. LLC
- Gold Coast beaches likely to stay closed