Nearly a week after 17 students and teachers were gunned down at a Florida high school, the state legislature voted 71-36 Tuesday against a measure to consider a ban on semi-automatic weapons.
The Florida House of Representatives was in session on Tuesday considering several issues.
On Tuesday - barely a week after the latest shooting at a school in Florida - House Republicans made a decision to forgo a debate suggested by the Democrats on banning assault weapons in the state in favour of discussing pornography.
"That's really sad", he added.
"I ask that you keep this bill and the conversation about the solution to combat mass shootings alive", McGhee declared.
Less than a week after the devastating shooting at a Parkland, Florida high school left 17 people dead, Florida lawmakers rejected an attempt to discuss a ban on assault weapons.
Survivors of the high school massacre, many of whom were in attendance watching from the visitors' gallery, were in shock, taking to Twitter in disgust.
"They had a chance to stop it today", she said.
The proposed Bill (HB 219) on gun control would see the possession and sale of semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity magazines - like the one used by the shooter in Florida - made illegal.
The state's House of Representatives approved the resolution by a voice vote Tuesday, despite some members asking why the topic is being taken up at this time.
"Research has found a correlation between pornography use and mental and physical illnesses, difficulty forming and maintaining intimate relationships, unhealthy brain development and cognitive function, and deviant, problematic or unsafe sexual behavior", Republican Rep. Ross Spano told the state's House Health & Human Services Committee in January, according to Fox News.
"Do you believe that identifying porn as a public health risk is more important than identifying gun violence as a public health violence, especially after the events of this week and the events of June 12, 2016, when 29 people were murdered by gun violence at Pulse?" "These are their priorities. I'm not aware there's a base of voters who are losing sleep every night over the epidemic of pornography as a public health crisis".
- Netflix's 'Lost in Space' Reboot Gets Teaser Trailer and Premiere Date
- Two men stabbed to death as knife attacks add to grim…
- Nest's indoor security camera now has Google Assistant built in
- Rice Midstream Partners LP (RMP) Analysts See $0.39 EPS
- Olympic speedskating: Women's team pursuit finals results and highlights
- Paddington director Paul King to helm live-action Pinocchio
- Tweets By Troll Accounts During 2016 Election Leaked
- Child reportedly missing after van swept into river near Orangeville
- Ramaphosa tells South Africa: get some morning exercise
- (BYD) Shares Bought by Penn Capital Management Co. Inc