He was addressing a media briefing in Colombo this afternoon.
Wickremesinghe's United National Party (UNP) and President Maithripala Sirisena's United People's Freedom Alliance (UPFA) formed a coalition government in 2015 after defeating Rajapaksa. "This is coalition politics...it is not easy".
"There must be urgent reforms", said JHU leader Champika Ranawaka, who is minister for urban development. He said another round of discussion will be held with the President next week, to carry forward the government's agenda. The country's first national unity government has two years remaining in its term before the next general election.
The current political crisis was triggered by defeat of UNP and President's faction at local body polls, resulting in blame game on the two sides. Claiming that they can form a single-party government, they have been trying hard over the last few days to muster the majority 113-figure in Parliament. We like to go ahead with our programs, correct the mistakes, correct some of our programs, change our way in some instances.
"Geneva is on the performance up to date so you will have to judge on what has been done so far", said Mr Wickremesinghe in Colombo.
Wickremesinghe said that the new leadership of the UNP will play a bigger role in the party.
Refuting claims that he was being asked to give up the post, he added: "We want a transition without disruption".
- Verizon introduces a 500MB prepaid plan for $30 per month
- Twitter pulls the plug on official Mac app
- NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA) - EPS Growth Analysis
- Commscope (COMM) Updates FY18 Earnings Guidance
- Ex-Raiders CB David Amerson lands in AFC West with Chiefs
- Two Years After Olympics, Brazilian Military Takes over Crime-Ridden Rio de Janeiro
- Hot Performer of the day: Precision Drilling Corporation (NYSE:PDS)
- Late Comeback Not Enough, Raptors Hold Off Heat 115-112
- Bayonetta 2 Arrives on Nintendo Switch, Un-Nintendo like Innuendo Ensues
- Scorpio Tankers Inc. (NASDAQ:STNG) To Release Earnings