So Happy Galentine's Day to all those singles out there! You celebrate Galentine's Day and then Valentine's Day. In 2010, a mere 22 minutes of bureaucratic-based humour birthed a trend - nay, a movement - that lives on to this literal day.
Don't let being a poor struggling uni student stop you from celebrating this glorious day.
Amy Poehler coined the term Galentine's Day on "Parks & Recreation", and for years, women have taken up the cause of her character Leslie Knope - celebrating their gal pals with breakfast, outings and gifts.
In the episode, Leslie honors her favorite women: Ann Perkins (Rashida Jones), Donna Meagle (Retta), April Ludgate (Aubrey Plaza), Leslie's mom Marlene Griggs-Knope (Pamela Reed) and several random women that we never see again.
Also, here's the original Parks and Recreation video where Leslie introduces Galentine's Day for the first time.
Some people hate Valentine's Day for the sole reason of not having a significant other to celebrate it with, and that is no excuse to make yourself sad. Or you could invite your friends to your kitchen so the kids can join in. For Galentine's Day, it's on the relationships between women. "It's fun days like this that truly make up our friendship". Sloan Longway, a museum and planetarium in MI, celebrated its third Galentine's Day on February 9. Slather on the syrup and enjoy time out with your friends.
Although Dr. Forbes says he doubts Galentine's Day will still be celebrated in a decade, its future will likely depend on the fervor of fans.
It's a national holiday that's been growing in popularity the last few years. It's the flawless way to spend what is deemed as the most romantic holiday. "This seems to do less of that, and may actually be popular and have longevity because of that".
This one's for all you folks out there trying to get over someone.
For Rachel Heffington, who attended Cure Coffeehouse's Galentine's Day celebration with a group the past two years, the appeal of the new holiday is simple.
Valentine's Day should be an opportunity for you to show your love to the most important and influential people in your life, and your friends are just as important as a romantic partner. Self-love is the best kind of love, trust me. Women from across the United States still get together on February 13.
- Amazon layoffs: Hundreds of job cuts in Seattle, global offices might follow
- Japan skater sent home for failed test
- Rita Ora Signs On For Live Action POKEMON Movie, Joining Ryan Reynolds
- Key executive behind Samsung Pay and Bixby joins Google
- Tunisia package trips resume following Sousse massacre
- Former Trump speechwriter's ex-wife in hiding outside Maine
- Using Special UV Light in Public Spaces Could Kill Flu Viruses, Bacteria
- Blake Lively Reveals She Lost 61 Pounds of Baby Weight
- Opioid makers gave $10M to advocacy groups amid epidemic
- Deputy head of United Kingdom charity Oxfam resigns over sex scandal