Shares were up almost 3% on Monday. In the last few months, the company implemented hiring freezes to stem the flow of new workers, cutting the number of open positions in half from the 3,500 listed last Summer.
In a statement, Amazon.com Inc. says it is still hiring aggressively in some areas and will consider those affected for other roles. As the company's fortunes have grown, so has the size of its employee base. Globally, the company employs 566,000 people, as of December 2017, a 66 per cent increase on the previous December - it takes a lot of people to keep those warehouses ticking over.
Meanwhile, Amazon is close to launching Shipping With Amazon, a national delivery service that would compete with FedEx and United Parcel Service (UPS), according to a recent Wall Street Journal report.
"People are in awful shape", he said.
The company has also recently instituted a mandate that managers who oversee other supervisors must have at least four people reporting to them. The industry giant appears to not be looking to reduce the overall employee numbers. "Amazon has a problem right now with overpopulation", an unnamed engineer said.
In the case of Amazon's workforce, what goes up is now coming down. Some employees have been notified, while others will be notified later in the week. Last year, Amazon subsidiary Quidsi laid off 250 employees.
The majority of the layoffs are affecting the company's Seattle headquarters, but some global teams may be affected as well, according to the source. "We do not use our performance management process to achieve head-count goals".
- Greece Slams Turkish Violations in Cypriot Waters
- Spring League has an NFL-out for Johnny Manziel
- Penn State football's 2020 schedule is complete, and Pitt isn't on it
- United Kingdom develops tool to automatically block extremist content
- Isaiah Thomas Reveals What Angered Him The Most About The Lakers Trade
- Rita Ora Signs On For Live Action POKEMON Movie, Joining Ryan Reynolds
- Here's the first line-up announcement for Reading & Leeds Festival 2018
- Deputy head of United Kingdom charity Oxfam resigns over sex scandal
- Sonos One and Google Home Max Sound Better Than Apple HomePod
- Georgia to file request to Poland for Saakashvili's extradition