President Rodrigo Duterte scrapped the deal on Friday night because of conditions imposed by Canada, telling his generals not to buy from the United States and Canada because of conditions imposed on arms sales. Official transcripts scrubbed the speech of the word "vagina", replacing it with a dash.
The president also chastised female soldiers for abandoning their children and families, in order to join the communist movement.
"Duterte's latest nasty remark openly encourages violence against women, contributes to the impunity on such, and further confirms himself as the most risky macho-fascist in the government right now", Gabriela Women's Group wrote on Facebook.
"The local governments there - I'm addressing myself not to people in Boracay - you let everything happen there, the building of structures, overlapping the coast line which already reached the sea, which is not really allowed", Duterte said at the launching of Malasakit Center.
"You can mess with, maybe a Miss Universe".
Two months earlier, Duterte told soldiers fighting Muslim armed fighters in Marawi that they could rape up to three women without getting punished. "I was angry because she was raped, that's one thing".
Duterte sparked outrage by saying that he, as mayor of Davao, "should have been first" to rape an Australian missionary in jail in 1989. "What a waste", he said.
Duterte who came into power after vouching to kill all of the country's drug users and peddlers has been doing just that.
Duterte regularly denigrates and threatens women, but when challenged, insists it was all just a joke.
"I mean, that's amusing. Come on. Just laugh". The official transcript notes that the audience laughed.
Duterte eventually canceled the plan after several senators threatened to block the sale over human rights concerns.
"He is dangerously pushing the fascist armed forces of the Philippines to commit more bloody human rights violations and grave abuses of worldwide humanitarian law", she said.
New York-based Human Rights Watch noted it was not the first time that Duterte has made "misogynist, derogatory and demeaning statements" about women.
"It encourages state forces to commit sexual violence during armed conflict, which is a violation of global humanitarian law", the statement added.
- Kevin De Bruyne can win the Ballon d'Or, says Pep Guardiola
- Second White House aide resigns over domestic violence allegations
- Four-goal hero Aguero salutes De Bruyne
- Pentwater Capital Management LP Acquires New Stake in Twenty-First Century Fox Inc
- Boston Police Department criticized for Black History Month tweet
- South Africa's ANC executives to decide on President Jacob Zuma's future
- Palestinian state should be established as soon as possible
- Everything Xiaomi India is launching on February 14
- 14% of all Texas deaths related to flu — CDC
- 21st Century Fox Offers "Firewall Remedies" To Push Through Sky Deal