'The Prince was surrounded by Her Majesty The Queen and their two sons'.
The prince moved to Denmark in 1967 ahead of his June wedding to the then-crown princess, but found having to play a supporting role hard.
In later life he resented not being King, on the grounds that Denmark was to the fore in recognising gender equality.
According to PEOPLE, Prince Henrik was first diagnosed with pneumonia while on a trip to Egypt in January.
He met then Danish Crown Princess Margrethe at a dinner party in London 1965 where she was studying.
Resenting never being named king, in 2016, he renounced the title of prince consort and spent much of his time at a chateau on a vineyard in southwestern France, although he remained married to the queen and officially still lived with her.
Yesterday, the Royal Family revealed that Prince Henrik had been transferred from city hospital Rigshospitalet to Fredensborg Castle to spend his final days in peace with his family.
When Charles Wednesday Camilla on 9 April 2005, it was announced that she would receive the title "Princess Consort" and not Queen Consort when her husband became king.
He also openly said he did not want to be buried next to his wife upon his death unless she changed his title to king consort. Henrik, however, caused a scandal last August by announcing that when he died he didn't want to be buried next to Margrethe in the cathedral where the remains of Danish royals have gone for centuries.
Prince Henrik, who once remarked publicly that he was not the social equal of his wife or their heir to the throne, passed away at his residence.
Among those to visit included Crown Prince Frederik, who cut short his visit to the Winter Olympics in South Korea, which he was attending in his role as an International Olympic Committee member.
His brother, Prince Joachim, 48, is understood to have been with Henrik following his diagnosis.
Henri Marie Jean Andre de Laborde de Monpezat was born on June 11th, 1934 near Bordeaux, son of André de Laborde de Monpezat (1907-1998) and Renée Doursenot (1908-2001).
- Police urge graft charges against Netanyahu; process may take months
- Instagram-Like Stories Coming to Google
- WWE SmackDown: WWE title picture widens at Fastlane
- Exhausted of texting? Google tests robot to chat with friends for you
- Near-record spending expected this Valentine's Day
- Harry Kane on target as Tottenham Hotspur hold Juventus FC
- Sky maintains position as main broadcaster of live Premier League football
- ABQ man targeted YouTube celebrities
- Eating slowly may encourage weight loss in type 2 diabetes with obesity
- Credit Suisse reports third straight annual loss after U.S. tax writedowns