Radford, 33, and skating partner Meagan Duhamel wowed the crowds with their free skate program on February 12, helping to capture Canada's first gold of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games in the team figure skating event.
Radford was not the only openly gay competitor in the team event, with bronze medallists the United States of America featuring 28-year-old Adam Rippon.
Figure skater Eric Radford won one for the Canadian - and the Rainbow - flags, becoming the first openly gay winter Olympian to take home a gold medal.
The pair join openly bisexual Dutch speed skater Ireen Wust, who has won 10 medals including golds from four consecutive Winter Olympics. Canadian team figure skater Eric Radford represented his country and gay athletes well as he walked away with the gold.
The 33-year-old, who also used Hometown Glory to win gold at the 2016 World Championships, posted on Twitter about breaking this huge barrier at the Pyeongchang Games.
Other social media commentators have since debated whether the sexuality of an athlete has any relevance to their success.
This is incredible! I literally feel like I might explode with pride. Eric Radford skated with partner Meagan Duhamel for Canada on the weekend, while Adam Rippon skated solo for the US this morning.
"I think it's wonderful", Ruggiero said.
He later tweeted a photo with Rippon saying: "So proud that @Adaripp and I get to wear these medals and show the world what we can do". I felt it was important to come out here and skate a very strong performance for the USA team'.
- Chicago police superintendent addresses media, officer name released
- Charlie Nicholas states his prediction for FC Porto v Liverpool FC
- Google Chrome's Native Ad Blocker Detailed Ahead of Launch on Thursday
- Palestinian girl, 17, stands trial accused of slapping, punching 2 Israeli soldiers
- Rocket League RC Toy Set Announced from Hot Wheels and Psyonix
- Bill and Melinda Gates answer 'tough questions' in annual letter
- Steve Kerr lets Warriors players coach themselves during timeouts
- Shaun White wins USA's 100th all-time Winter Olympic gold medal
- Passenger climbs into x ray machine at Chinese train station
- Rocket launch a major step in space business