Radford, 33, and skating partner Meagan Duhamel wowed the crowds with their free skate program on February 12, helping to capture Canada's first gold of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games in the team figure skating event.
Radford was not the only openly gay competitor in the team event, with bronze medallists the United States of America featuring 28-year-old Adam Rippon.
Figure skater Eric Radford won one for the Canadian - and the Rainbow - flags, becoming the first openly gay winter Olympian to take home a gold medal.
The pair join openly bisexual Dutch speed skater Ireen Wust, who has won 10 medals including golds from four consecutive Winter Olympics. Canadian team figure skater Eric Radford represented his country and gay athletes well as he walked away with the gold.
The 33-year-old, who also used Hometown Glory to win gold at the 2016 World Championships, posted on Twitter about breaking this huge barrier at the Pyeongchang Games.
Other social media commentators have since debated whether the sexuality of an athlete has any relevance to their success.
This is incredible! I literally feel like I might explode with pride. Eric Radford skated with partner Meagan Duhamel for Canada on the weekend, while Adam Rippon skated solo for the US this morning.
"I think it's wonderful", Ruggiero said.
He later tweeted a photo with Rippon saying: "So proud that @Adaripp and I get to wear these medals and show the world what we can do". I felt it was important to come out here and skate a very strong performance for the USA team'.
- Watch how 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' was originally going to begin
- ABQ man targeted YouTube celebrities
- Chicago police superintendent addresses media, officer name released
- Arguably football's most exciting prodigy reveals interest in joining Chelsea
- Prince Henrik Of Denmark Dies At The Age Of 83
- Palestinian girl, 17, stands trial accused of slapping, punching 2 Israeli soldiers
- Flower prices up slightly this Valentine's Day, depending on suppliers
- Chipotle selects Taco bell as its nex6 DEO
- Chloe Kim Takes Gold-Medal Victory Lap on Halfpipe
- Macron: 'France will strike' if proven chemical bombs used in Syria