- One person is reportedly in custody and another has been hospitalized after a shooting near a gate that leads into the National Security Agency complex at Fort Meade in Anne Arundel County.
Officials said there was no continuing threat after the morning incident, which left a black sport utility vehicle riddled with what appeared to bullet holes, according to video from the scene.
The Associated Press first reported that one person was in custody.
An NSA statement says a vehicle tried to enter the agency's secure campus without authorization shortly after 7 a.m. Wednesday.
Emergency responders are on the scene.
Some local media reports say three people were injured in a shooting, but that hasn't been confirmed by the NSA.
The Latest on shooting outside the National Security Agency campus at Fort Meade. They also said they do not believe the incident to be a terrorist act.
An image taken from a WRC-TV helicopter shows a police and fire department response outside one of the facility's secure vehicle entry gates.
The National Security Agency/Central Security Service is one of the United States government's main spy agencies.
The White House said in a statement that President Donald Trump was briefed on the shooting.
Route 32 near the base is closed in both directions at this time. "We will continue to provide updates as they become available". The Anne Arundel County Fire Department provided assistance and the FBI is investigating the situation.
USA Today notes that drivers occasionally take the wrong exit and end up at the tightly guarded NSA gates. Most motorists then carefully follow the orders of heavily armed federal officers and turn around without getting into more trouble. Authorities later said they had stolen a vehicle from a man who picked them up for a party at a motel.
- MSU Faculty Senate to hold symbolic vote on trustees, Engler
- Trump 'shows great compassion' for women, Kellyanne Conway says
- Minnie Driver quits Oxfam role over charity sex scandal
- Qualcomm Launches Snapdragon X24, World's First 2Gbps LTE Modem
- New Payments Platform gets public launch
- Gupta's Saxonwold home raided by Hawks
- Strongest storm in 60 years batters Tonga in South Pacific
- Samsung Galaxy S9 might include stereo speakers and 3D emoji
- Woman has British accent after medical procedure
- Chris Rock's first stand-up special in a decade drops on Netflix tomorrow