Members of the faculty voted 61-4 to express no confidence in the eight-member governing body at Michigan State, according to multiple news outlets in East Lansing. Some professors have criticized the selection of John Engler, a former governor of MI, as interim president there.
The faculty had hoped the board would pick an interim president who had more academic experience and more experience in dealing with sexual assault issues.
On Tuesday night, Michigan State's answers to Congress about the Larry Nassar investigation went public.
The faculty and students have been upset with the board for not including them in the discussions for interim leadership.
"I viewed with great concern a recent ESPN report that gathered considerable national attention in no small part because it showed a promotional graphic of our head football coach and men's basketball coach with Larry Nassar", Engler wrote. That has been a burden that must be lifted.
Tuesday Senate Investigators released MSU's initial response along with those from USA Gymnastics and the US Olympic Committee.
Engler also said in his statement that Izzo and Dantonio have been asked not to publicly comment while the reports are being "examined". Izzo said roughly the same, telling reporters: "As I said before, we'll cooperate with any investigation and always have. I hope that MSU can soon repsond in full and affirm the integrity and probity that has been the hallmark of these two respected coaches".
Near the end of the letter, Engler addressed an ESPN report that questioned how the basketball and football programs have responded to cases of sexual assault and violence toward women.
"I've said it before, there will be a time I will talk".
- Steve Kerr lets Warriors players coach themselves during timeouts
- Charlie Nicholas states his prediction for FC Porto v Liverpool FC
- Tiger Woods ready to shun rivals in LA
- Telephone Call Stopped Imminent Israeli-Iranian War
- Men in Blue keen to bounce back in Port Elizabeth
- Tottenham striker Kane sends heartfelt message to Ryan Mason after early retirement
- Google Chrome's Native Ad Blocker Detailed Ahead of Launch on Thursday
- Rex Tillerson endorses Egypt's military operation in Sinai
- Trump 'shows great compassion' for women, Kellyanne Conway says
- Rocket launch a major step in space business