In November, the index of industrial production (IIP) grew 8.8% and consumer price index (CPI) based inflation rose by 5.21%.
The cumulative growth for the period April-December 2017 over the corresponding period of the previous year stands at 3.7%.
Inflation may increase in the coming months due to oil price hike and food inflation not coming down. A Reuters poll of 26 economists had projected it at 5.14 per cent.
The hardening of inflation has forced the RBI to keep the lending rates unchanged.
"I do not expect a rate hike for the next five to six months", said Raghvendra Nath, managing director of Ladderup Wealth Management.
Tushar Arora, Senior Economist, HDFC Bank said, "Retail inflation is likely to hover around the 5 per cent mark in the January-March quarter". Food prices have softened, reflecting eased vegetable costs following stepped-up arrivals in markets of fresh crops.
Meanwhile, the general index for the month of December 2017 stood at 130.3, which is 7.1 percent higher as compared to the level in the month of December 2016. The corresponding provisional inflation rate for rural area was 5.21% and urban area 4.93% in January 2018 as against 5.27% and 5.09% in December 2017. The cumulative growth in these three sectors during April-December 2017 over the corresponding period of 2016 was 2.8, 3.8 and 5.1 percent respectively.
CPI is the main price gauge that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) tracks, crucial for implementation of monetary policy.
By opting to hold interest rates despite its concerns about the growing threat of inflation, the central bank has signalled it will do its bit to protect the nascent recovery underway in the economy.
- Couple sells all to sail the world, boat sinks on day 2
- Myanmar minister orders Rohingya to leave no man's land
- CCI slaps Google with Rs 136.86 crore fine for 'search bias'
- Father Of Otto Warmbier Says North Korea 'Not Really' Participating In Olympics
- Boston Police Department criticized for Black History Month tweet
- Everything Xiaomi India is launching on February 14
- South Africa's ANC executives to decide on President Jacob Zuma's future
- Seoul seeks communication, lower military tension ahead of possible North Korea summit
- Pnc Financial Services Group, Inc: Wellington Management Group Llp Bought Stake
- Should the Democratic memo on the FBI's Russian Federation investigation be released?