Two others- Shehzad Ahmad and Ariz Khan alias Junaid - managed to escape the building. Encounter specialist Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma lost his life during the operation.
Officials said that Aariz Khan, alias Junaid, a member of home-grown terror outfit Indian Mujahideen, was nabbed by a special team of Delhi Police from the India-Nepal border. Junaid is also believed to be involved in several other incidents including the 2008 blasts in Jaipur (May 13), Ahmedabad (July 26) and Delhi (September 13).
While Delhi Police had announced a reward of Rs 5 lakh for information about Khan, the National Investigating Agency (NIA) had announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh. His associate, Tauqueer, was arrested earlier by the Delhi Police in January this year. "In all, 135 people were killed and over 400 injured", Kushwaha told The Indian Express.
Khan was radicalised and introduced to terrorism when he was studying in a school in his hometown Azamgarh, said the officer.
Kushwaha said that after Khan escaped from Batla House, he remained in India for a month before fleeing to Nepal.
Tauqeer was teaching in Nepal along with Khan and he provided valuable inputs to Special Cell about his movements. He later managed to get citizenship and a passport of the country in the name of Salim Khan, through fake papers. He had studied B Tech at an institute in Muzaffarnagar but had failed in the second year, said the officer.
"For a cover, he worked as a labourer and also met with many sympathizers there", Mr Kushwah said.
"Junaid was coming to meet a contact at the Banwasa Border".
- Bichon frise named America's top dog
- England captain Dylan Hartley keen to test scrum against Georgia
- Germany proposes free public transport to curb pollution, avoid big fines
- DUP Leader Says Party Won't Agree To Irish Language Act
- Kuwait Joins Iraq Reconstruction Drive, Pledging $2 Billion
- Verizon phone locking is 2018's unwelcome return
- Facebook launches 'Lists' to personalise status update box
- Gerhard Schroeder Slams US Vice President Pence's 'Clumsy' Behavior at Olympics
- LeBron James, renewed Cavs close out the Thunder
- 'You the Family Idiot': Powder Note Sent to Trump Jr. Home Revealed