Team USA burst out of the gates by pouncing on Slovenia in the first period.
Jan Mursak who scored the winning goal, Jan Urbas, Rok Ticar of Slovenia and teammates celebrate the victory in overtime following the Ice Hockey Men Preliminary Round match between US and Slovenia at Kwandong Hockey Centre on February 14, 2018 in Gangneung, South Korea. Mursak tied the game on a rebound goal with 1:37 to play.
The Americans built a 2-0 lead on goals by Brian O'Neill, a former player at Yale who now plays for Jokerit in the KHL, and Jordan Greenway. He scored one goal in 19 games.
Peter Ceresnak, Slovakia: The 25-year-old forward was the hero for Slovakia as the underdogs upset the Olympic Athletes from Russian Federation to open their campaign in PyeongChang.
Slovenia, ranked 15th by the International Ice Hockey Federation, got on the board in the third period when Blaz Gregorc threaded a wrist shot through a crowd in front of US goalkeeper Ryan Zapolski.
Kroselj made a handful of quality saves to keep Slovenia in the game, and Zapolski had to do the same in the second period, stopping Urbas on a one-timer with Greenway in the box and the U.S. on the penalty kill.
Brian Gionta, from Rochester, serves as team captain and is the only returning Olympian. Blaz Gregorc and Miha Verlic assisted on the play. The Americans outshot Slovenia 11-3 in the first period.
This time, the pass made it through, and Mursak beat Zapolski on the stick side, to win the game.
"It was exciting to get my first, but it would have been much better to get a win tonight", said Greenway, one of four American college players in the US team.
Jan Mursak played just 46 games in the National Hockey League after he was drafted in the 6th round by the Detroit Red Wings in 2006.
It was the first win for Slovenia over the United States in Olympic men's ice hockey.
- Intelligence officials say Russian Federation intent on disrupting future U.S. elections
- Rex Tillerson endorses Egypt's military operation in Sinai
- HTC smartphone business head resigns
- Merkel and #SPD under renewed fire over German coalition deal
- Qualcomm Launches Snapdragon X24, World's First 2Gbps LTE Modem
- MSU Faculty Senate to hold symbolic vote on trustees, Engler
- Woman has British accent after medical procedure
- Gupta's Saxonwold home raided by Hawks
- Minnie Driver quits Oxfam role over charity sex scandal
- Curling Mixed Doubles: Canada Easily Beats Switzerland for Gold