Spokesperson Hangwani Mulaudzi: "We can confirm that we are having an operation in Saxonwold, at the Gupta family compound, where our members are now busy".
Earlier, vehicles flashing blue lights arrived and waited outside the compound before entering the premises a few minutes later.
"We have decried the lack of action by the Hawks, and the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), and it is encouraging to see the raid".
They are apparently hoping to strike a deal with the Hawks on Wednesday morning. "Anything that is seen as evidence for this investigation will be seized‚" a source said.
Wednesday was supposed to be D-Day for President Jacob Zuma, but thus far it's also shaping up to be a day of reckoning for his friends.
Duduzane‚ in response to SMSs and calls‚ said he was in a meeting and could not speak.
The Guptas' lawyer‚ Ahmed Gani‚ said his clients had not been arrested. "They have not been arrested or charged with anything and are still free as we speak‚" he told TimesLIVE.
A police officer at the compound blocked off access to Saxonwold Drive, saying: "This is a crime scene".
He confirmed that he would meet the Hawks on Wednesday.
The project was meant to be a lifeline to indigent farmers but saw millions of rand allegedly siphoned off to the Guptas. Mkhwebane said the Estina expenditure was being investigated by the Hawks.
The arrests are part of ongoing investigations into the Estina Dairy scandal in Vrede in the Free State.
"There is no effort shown to probe the true corruption at the heart of the Vrede scam, and to hold those responsible accountable", Maimane told reporters at the DA's Cape Town offices.
Similarly, Moleko Phakedi, deputy general of the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU), said they were encouraged by the raid.
- Chloe Kim Takes Gold-Medal Victory Lap on Halfpipe
- Charlie Nicholas states his prediction for FC Porto v Liverpool FC
- Passenger climbs into x ray machine at Chinese train station
- Bill and Melinda Gates answer 'tough questions' in annual letter
- Trump personal lawyer says he paid Stormy Daniels with his own money
- HTC smartphone business head resigns
- Harry and Meghan charm crowds, and army mascot Cruachan, in Edinburgh
- Doctors pull 14 worms out of woman's eye
- Steve Kerr lets Warriors players coach themselves during timeouts
- Rocket League RC Toy Set Announced from Hot Wheels and Psyonix