The expanded recall affects an additional 1,955 Mazda B-Series trucks.
The expansion was ordered following additional safety testing, and now covers a broader time frame of production.
"Affected owners are urged not to drive these vehicles and to contact Ford and Mazda immediately to schedule a free fix", advised the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Ford has expanded an earlier recall concerning Takata airbags. The action is essentially an extension of a smaller recall Ford issued last month. They have now been transferred to an even more urgent list of vehicles with faulty Takata inflators as there's a higher risk of them rupturing than other recalled inflators.
Rangers added to the do-not-drive list were built between August 5 and December 15, 2005. Including the previous 3000-odd, there are now 36,330 Rangers in North America included in the recall. Approximately 30,603 vehicles are located in the USA and 2,825 in Canada. Final service parts are available now and Ford is urging customers to contact local dealers to get their vehicles serviced.
The agency estimates about 37 million vehicles across are under recall for approximately 50 million defective Takata air bags. At least 22 people have died and more than 180 have been hurt because of the problem.
The company was hoping to exit bankruptcy filing, but instead looked like it was headed for a protracted battle between two committees: automakers and Key Safety Systems, which bought the company's assets previous year for $1.6 billion.
The trust will pay compensation based on the injury, ranging from $10,000 for bruising to $5 million for death or loss of eyesight, according to court documents.
- New York Giants hire Mike Shula as offensive coordinator
- Bears to Battle Ravens in Corridor of Fame Sport
- Woman Infected by Parasitic Cattle Eye Worm
- 'You the Family Idiot': Powder Note Sent to Trump Jr. Home Revealed
- Spring League has an NFL-out for Johnny Manziel
- US Senate begins rare open debate on immigration
- Apple might bring Animoji to iPad and FaceTime in future iOS update
- Cubs sign Darvish on a 6-year deal
- Thousands in Pakistan Attend Funeral of Prominent Rights Activists
- Facebook launches 'Lists' to personalise status update box