One man in his 40s has died after two vehicles crashed on the runway at Heathrow Airport, Scotland Yard has confirmed. One male was treated for non-life threatening or life-changing injuries.
A man in his 40's was taken to hospital where he died of his injuries, the BBC reported.
The airport said the incident involved "two members of staff", adding: "An investigation is underway and we are working with the police".
"The Metropolitan Police force said its officers were called just after 6 a.m.to a crash on the taxiway, which Heathrow initially described as a "serious accident involving two vehicles" on the airfield".
An employee of London's Heathrow Airport was killed in a "serious accident" between vehicles on the airfield on Wednesday.
It is not known which type of vehicles were involved but the emergency services were called to the scene and passengers on one aircraft reportedly had to be evacuated.
"We are working closely with the emergency services and updates will follow".
The airline apologised to passengers and said it was doing "all we can" to ensure delayed flights depart as soon as possible.
At least 20 British Airways flights failed to meet their scheduled departure time after the crash.
"The Health and Safety executive has been informed".
Officers from the Met's Serious Collision Investigation Unit are investigating, but no arrests have been made.
One passenger who had been on a Zurich-bound flight, said: "We boarded and waited and then the captain gave a series of apologies and further delay announcements".
"This incident did not involve any passengers and is not expected to cause any impact on journeys today", it added.
- Tiger Woods ready to shun rivals in LA
- Flower prices up slightly this Valentine's Day, depending on suppliers
- Chris Rock's first stand-up special in a decade drops on Netflix tomorrow
- Shaun White wins USA's 100th all-time Winter Olympic gold medal
- Bill and Melinda Gates answer 'tough questions' in annual letter
- Trump's Massive Budget Cuts Spare the Military
- Tottenham striker Kane sends heartfelt message to Ryan Mason after early retirement
- Rex Tillerson endorses Egypt's military operation in Sinai
- Arguably football's most exciting prodigy reveals interest in joining Chelsea
- Chloe Kim Takes Gold-Medal Victory Lap on Halfpipe