Gen. McMaster, who led the US delegation during the two-day diplomatic visit to Turkey, "discussed the priorities and concerns of both countries ... their common strategic challenges and regional developments" with İbrahim Kalın, spokesman and special adviser to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, according to a White House readout of the meeting released Sunday. The U.S. partner force on the ground, the YPG, is the Syrian extension of the PKK, a group the U.S. designates as a terrorist group.
The PKK is listed as a terrorist group by the U.S., EU, and Turkey.
"Ties with the USA are at very critical point".
"It is natural that we lost our trust in the U.S.", Cavusoglu said, stressing that Ankara does not want to hear any more empty promises from its ally but rather wants to see concrete steps. The report also said 11 Turkish soldiers were killed along with 11 other fighters, the highest death toll on any single day among the Turkish allied forces since the beginning of Operation Olive Branch.
"While discussing these issues, they addressed issues affecting bilateral relations in detail and explored ways to expand the joint fight against all forms of terrorism".
Criticizing U.S. ties with the YPG/PKK terror group in Syria he said: "The U.S.is not touching ISIL members in Syria as an excuse to continue working with YPG/PKK terrorist group". U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is also scheduled to visit Turkey later this week, and is expected to encounter Turkish officials amid tensions in ties, according to senior U.S. officials who briefed the media last Friday. Washington says Ankara has not provided enough evidence for the extradition.
- Over 55s flock to Facebook as teenagers leave in droves for Snapchat
- James' triple-double, Korver's 30 points lead Cavs past Hawks
- Researchers develop new malleable, recyclable e-skin
- Instagram is testing alerts for when someone screenshots your story
- Barclays faces trial over $3 billion Qatar loan
- Iraq's reconstruction will cost $88.2 billion, planning ministry says
- Senior Nats senator backs Joyce as leader
- RSS chief's comment on army tantamount to sedition, says Pinarayi Vijayan
- Korean ski coach says it's 'honor' to compete in Olympics
- Could Olympic Games Bring North and South Korea Together?