Pence, who led the USA delegation to the opening ceremonies, was seated between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, with Kim Yo Jong and Kim Yong Nam, North Korea's 90-year-old nominal head of state, seated a row behind.
And as the South appeared to look favorably on warming ties on the Korean Peninsula, Pence insisted Saturday "there is no daylight" among the United States and allies South Korea and Japan in intensifying pressure on the North over its nuclear and missile programs. Central New York native Erin Hamlin carried the flag and led the Olympic team as they marched while PSY's "Gangnam Style" blared on the stadium speakers. International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach then handed the podium to Mr Moon, who declared the Olympics officially open. "It was done in hockey, so why not with us?" he said. "We all join and support you in your message of peace".
"It didn't affect the opening ceremony", Park said.
The Unified Korea delegation parades. A figure of a bird-like animal with a human face has been found on murals from the Goguryeo period (100 B.C. -seventh century) in Korean history.
Pyon said he was happy to see the Korean hockey team competing with a "single-minded" unity, saying the two Koreas could also field a joint Alpine team in the future. The North also faces ever-tightening worldwide sanctions after it conducted a fresh nuclear test previous year and a series of missile tests.
Internet difficulties during the opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea have prompted officials to investigate the possibility of a cyberattack.
The rival Koreas, flirting with war just weeks ago, are suddenly making overtures toward the no-longer-quite-so-absurd notion of cooperation. In addition to sending 22 athletes to compete at the games in Pyeongchang, North Korea also deployed a 229-strong all-female cheering squad to root for both nations.
But not everyone was satisfied in the months before the Olympics, and there is still attention being given to meat markets located near current Winter Games venues.
- Turkish troops killed in deadliest day of Kurdish offensive
- German Foreign Minister: Trump Support Not Necessarily Good for Israel
- Pence to WashPost: Trump Admin Willing to Talk to North Korea
- Pence raises prospect of USA talks with North Korea
- Don't mention the score: North Korean media silent on 8-0 loss
- Kim Yo Jong Fascinates, And Puzzles, In South Korea
- Meeting ends between SKorean leader, N. Koreans
- OR vs. Washington State - 2/11/18 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- United States professor fired after telling student 'Australia isn't a country'
- Snowboarder Kelly Clark still going strong in fifth Olympics