North Korea's nominal head of state Kim Yong-Nam weeps while watching a performance of North Korea's Samjiyon Orchestra with Kim Yo-Jong, North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un's sister and South Korean President Moon Jae-In in Seoul on Sunday.
Murphy wasn't the only one to note Pence had condemned NFL players for kneeling in protest during the national anthem.
Tensions between North Korea and the US had risen significantly since Pyongchang amped up its missile program previous year, firing 23 missiles during 16 tests in a 10-month span.
At Friday's Olympic opening ceremony, athletes from the two nations wore the same white jackets and marched together under a united Korean flag.
Kim Yo-jong, the North Korean leader's sister, hand-delivered the letter to Moon as the North Korean delegation met with southern officials.
This photo, provided by South Korea's presidential office, shows South Korean President Moon Jae-in (R) and U.S. Vice President Mike Pence (L) watching a short-track speedskating event in Gangneung, South Korea, on February 10, 2018.
Washington has pursued a strategy of exerting maximum pressure on Pyongyang through tough sanctions and harsh rhetoric, demanding it give up its pursuit of nuclear weapons first for any dialogue to occur.
A visit by Moon to the North would enable the first summit between leaders from the two Koreas since 2007, and would mark only the third inter-Korean summit to take place.
The North Korean leader shows no sign of budging on his nuclear program, having conducted four nuclear tests since he took power in 2012 and nearly perfecting an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of reaching the continental U.S. "But if you want to talk, we'll talk", Pence is reported to have said. The South hosts 28,500 US troops, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean war. But they've got stories of family and friends frightened by the ratcheting tension between the United States and North Korea. It warned against agreeing to talks before North Korea scrapped its nuclear program, saying it would only "benefit the enemy".
On Saturday, the DPRK delegation paid a visit to Moon at the presidential Blue House.
Just days into the 2018 Winter Olympics, it is clear that it will be remembered as much for political gymnastics as sporting prowess.
- ANC impatient over Zuma's future - leader
- Wolverines pick up road win at Wisconsin Sunday
- Meeting ends between SKorean leader, N. Koreans
- James' triple-double, Korver's 30 points lead Cavs past Hawks
- United States professor fired after telling student 'Australia isn't a country'
- Over 55s flock to Facebook as teenagers leave in droves for Snapchat
- Kendrick Lamar accused of stealing artwork for 'All The Stars' video
- North Korea's Olympics delegation leaves thorny questions behind
- The Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony, Tonight on KSBW 8!
- DMK moves Madras HC against Jayalalithaa's portrait in state Assembly