"I think that I'm the type of coach who if I have a player who is 6/10, I bring him to an 8/10".
If Conte fails to secure a response against the Baggies on Monday, he could join the long list of Chelsea managers sacked mid-season under Roman Abramovich.
But the 48-year-old remains unapologetic for his regimented approach, saying: "I think that, usually when you work, you don't smile". But how many times have Chelsea fans seen their club interested in big European players? "For this, I'm very good", he said.
"I think maybe you [the media] have to find more balance but I understand we have to live with this pressure, and it is okay for me and for my players".
Chelsea will head into the fixture without Tiémoué Bakayoko who was sent off in the last game while Olivier Giroud is touted to make his first full team start since making his move from Arsenal in January.
The Chelsea manager will be desperate to get his key players back for the game against Barcelona, and knows that any goals shipped by the Blues will have a negative impact on their hopes of going through to the next round or even having a chance in the second leg.
"I do feel sorry for the manager because the job he did past year was absolutely outstanding and I don't really think he's changed too much", he said. "At the same time, I have great respect for everyone's opinion".
"He's been a big miss because he's a big character on the pitch and he can change the destiny of games, not so much with his ability sometimes - but with his character", added Pardew. You can't fault his record'.
"When you've got one of those at the top of the pitch they're very hard to replace".
Antonio Conte relied on a core of players to get the west London side over the line in the title race last season.
- Pence raises prospect of USA talks with North Korea
- Meeting ends between SKorean leader, N. Koreans
- Thank immigration for the rocket launch
- Performance Analysis to Overcome Risk: Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (NYSE:DPS)
- OR vs. Washington State - 2/11/18 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- North Korea had frank, candid talks with South's president: KCNA
- Kim Yo Jong Fascinates, And Puzzles, In South Korea
- James' triple-double, Korver's 30 points lead Cavs past Hawks
- ANC impatient over Zuma's future - leader
- Kendrick Lamar accused of stealing artwork for 'All The Stars' video