Champion Redmond Gerard of the USA (C), second-placed Max Parrot of Canada (L) and third-placed Mark Mcmorris of Canada pose for group pohotos after the Men's Snowboard Slopestyle at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games at the Phoenix Snow Park in PyeongChang, South Korea, on February 11, 2018.
It was 17-year-old American, Redmond Gerard, who did what Toutant couldn't, delivering a near ideal final run for a score of 87.16 and a gold medal position.
It was the second consecutive Olympic Winter Games that McMorris won slopestyle snowboarding bronze as he finished third with broken ribs at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.
McMorris had been sitting atop the standings after his second-run score of 85.20 before Gerard surpassed him with 87.16 points in his final attempt.
Entering the competition, much was made of the fact that McMorris has won a gold medal at every major event except the Olympics.
That initial investment paid off big time Saturday at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
Nicholson, was scored a 76.41 on his second run, which was his best in the three-run final. Parrot, who led through qualifying, bobbled on the last jump of his first and second runs but pulled off a clean run on his last chance to win silver.
When you look at the widely circulated picture of McMorris in a hospital bed, hooked up to an assortment of tubes, one can only marvel at what he has overcome in 10 1/2 months. That result pushed McMorris into the bronze medal spot. "I had some low times, but these high times make it worthwhile". I went bigger the last jump and I think the judges liked it, so I'm happy.
Parrot is proud of the time he spends in the gym on the trampoline and he suspects McMorris might do the same - but just not tell anyone about it.
The next chapter of the McMorris-Parrot rivalry will unfold February 20 and 23, when big air snowboarding makes its Olympic debut.
- 'Trump' And 'Kim' Thrown Out Of Opening Ceremony
- Iranian-Canadian environmentalist's death in prison raises questions
- NBC apologizes to Koreans for Japan comment
- Erdogan: Turkish military helicopter downed during Operation Olive Branch
- Rand Paul forces temporary United States government shutdown to give a lecture
- Trump says Democratic intelligence memo is 'very political' and needs redaction
- United Nations chief urges denuclearization to North Korea
- Mkhitaryan has no excuses for United struggles
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan: Won't Blame Anyone For Manchester United Struggles
- Reuben Foster arrested on domestic violence charges