The German discounters pose a genuine threat to Britain's established "big four": Aldi and Lidl now account for £1 out of every £8 spent at United Kingdom supermarkets, according to research from Kantar Worldpanel. "Aldi and Lidl have won over their customers with value for money", said Alex Neill, the managing director of Which? home products and services.
Aldi has been rated the nation's favourite in-store supermarket in Which?'s annual best and worst supermarket satisfaction survey.
Elsewhere, Sainsbury's ended up bottom of the list, with a spokesperson pointing to confusing methodology of the ranking system and highlighting how it beat Aldi in categories like store appearance, queuing time, staff availability and product range.
Some shoppers were critical of aspects of Aldi's store experience, describing them as "untidy" and complaining of "rushed checkouts".
The budget supermarket retailer has replaced Waitrose at the top, a position it held for three years.
Which? said customers gave Waitrose a two-star rating for its value for money, in contrast to Aldi's five.
One customer said Waitrose is "a bit pricey - which is why I don't do my main shop there", while others praised its "top quality" produce and "polite customers".
The news comes as Tesco continues to feel pressure from Aldi and Lidl, with the latest Kantar data showing earlier this month that the blue-chip's grocer market share had continued to decline in the 12 weeks to January 28, having dipped 0.3 percentage points to 27.8 percent.
"We are also a business that is and has always been committed to doing the right thing, most recently reflected in our aim to eliminate plastic packaging from our own-label range by 2023".
In fact, all of the "Big Four" supermarkets languish at the bottom of the 2018 table, with Sainsbury's found most wanting. Iceland 6. Tesco =7.
- Performance Analysis to Overcome Risk: Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. (NYSE:DPS)
- North Korea's Olympics delegation leaves thorny questions behind
- ANC impatient over Zuma's future - leader
- Heading home, Pence insists 'no daylight' on North Korea
- Don't mention the score: North Korean media silent on 8-0 loss
- Kendrick Lamar accused of stealing artwork for 'All The Stars' video
- Aston Villa beat rivals Birmingham to boost EPL promotion push
- German Foreign Minister: Trump Support Not Necessarily Good for Israel
- OR vs. Washington State - 2/11/18 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Trump Signs Measure to Increase DoD Spending Over 2 Years