Wednesday, 23 May 2018
Latest news
Main » 25 distressed OFWs from Kuwait back home

25 distressed OFWs from Kuwait back home

12 February 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte had instructed the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to work on the OFWs' repatriation, apparently because a lot of them were experiencing abuse.In an interview with the Philippine News Agency (PNA), 41-year old Amelia Montargo said she would never return to Kuwait for work."It was so hard".

Duterte lamented the death of a Filipino woman working as a help in Kuwait whose body was recently found inside a freezer.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said there are about 250,000 Filipinos working in Kuwait, mostly working as domestic helpers.

The move came after Mr Duterte last month barred Filipinos from seeking work in Kuwait, although the ban exempted those who had already secured permission to work there.

"I want them out of the country, those who want to go out, in 72 hours".

In a statement, Cebu Pacific (CEB) said it is mounting "a special charter flight from Kuwait to Manila FOR FREE".

Meanwhile, Kuwait's interior ministry denied on Monday social media reports that security personnel escorted Filipino domestic workers from citizens' houses against their will.

"CEB will be deploying an Airbus A330 aircraft-the largest in its fleet, for the charter flight".

Cebu Pacific Air will also send a plane to Kuwait to bring home more distressed OFWs while PAL is willing to add extra flights to Kuwait as needed.

PAL said it will be utilizing its 363 - seater Airbus A330. It is the flag carrier's privilege to be of service to those in need.

BACK AT HOME. 317 distressed Overseas Filipino Workers, repatriated by the government from Kuwait, arrive at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport on Monday (Feb. 12, 2018).

"A formal order on total deployment ban will be issued by Secretary (Silvestre) Bello on Monday", said DOLE Spokesperson Raul Francia on Saturday.

According to data gathered by support groups for OFWs, at least 120 Filipino workers were reported to have died in Kuwait in 2017, many of them simply listed as "suicides".

An order was also issued suspending the processing of new employment certificates for Filipinos wanting to work in Kuwait.

25 distressed OFWs from Kuwait back home