"I remember clearly without TV a Newcastle player jumping and two of my players looking at him and staying on the floor so the guy won the ball in the end and the second ball was in the face of David [De Gea]".
The visitors began to get a grip on possession but their attacking play lacked any real inspiration in the first half-hour, with Jesse Lingard producing their first shot on target 32 minutes in.
"But for the refs, every player must be treated the same and according to the rules. I don't see a problem".
Pogba appeared to suffer an injury in the warm-up.
Gayle was also unlucky not to be awarded a first-half penalty but Man United were guilty of wasteful finishing with Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez the chief culprits.
Rising, falling and rising again; such is our understanding of Jose Mourinho's managerial career.
Mourinho said: "In relation to his best position, I had a few laughs over the past week because I heard, I watched, had a chance to read a few things, and I'm not English but I understand English enough to understand what I want to say with "box to box".
Perez has primarily played behind the striker this season, handed the architect role in which he has made the most out of - a generally restrained playing style around him. "Eric [is] not yet with the team", Mourinho told reporters at a pre-Newcastle press conference on Friday, as relayed by United's official website. Mourinho opted for midfielder Scot McTominoy ahead of Pogba and the youngster impressed last Saturday.
Some people use this notion that Pogba can not play to the best of his abilities in a midfield duo and must be part of a trio as a caveat to excuse some underwhelming performances, whereas others see it as an indication of Pogba's shortcomings.
He is expected to start as the right back while former Southampton defender Luke Shaw will continue to feature on the left.
"Maybe his manager should cry a little more in situations like that but Alexis is a tough boy, he can cope with that sort of welcome", he said.
"I lost and I drew a few times [at Newcastle], I hope the result is different but I know the characteristics of the game will not be hard".
The 22-year-old has seen his efforts recognised with the club's Player of the Month award for January, with that particular prize having now been claimed on three occasions in 2017-18.
Which players are most likely to sign for Manchester United?
- United Nations calls for 'urgent global action' to end violence in Afrin
- Kane is "most complete" striker - Sami Khedira
- Man texts 'LOL' in group text as woman dies from overdose
- PM Modi addresses Indian diaspora in Muscat
- Wearable tech at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games
- Second White House staffer resigns amid domestic violence allegations
- Turkey detains pro-Kurdish party leaders as Syria operation resumes
- Hours from deadline, US Senate to vote to avert shutdown
- New England Research & Management Inc. Raises Stake in Celgene Co. (CELG)
- Bustling Stock in Focus: Texas Instruments Incorporated (NASDAQ:TXN)