Vice President Mike Pence did not deliberately snub North Koreans at an Olympic reception, according to U.S. officials who pushed back on South Korean reports that Pence deliberately came late to a VIP gathering Friday evening and then snubbed officials from Pyongyang.
Moon said the two countries should "make it happen" and urged the North to restart negotiations with the U.S.
The North Korean leader's sister's trip was particularly surprising, as she became the only member of the ruling family to have visited the South, since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.
The South Korean president also stressed the need for the communist North to resume its dialogue with the United States. It was only at the start of this year, and after many additional rounds of sanctions, that Kim Jong-un finally accepted the olive branch.
"The Secretary-General did meet with Kim Yong Nam".
At a glittering but sub-zero ceremony, South and North Korea brought the crowd to its feet as they entered behind the blue-and-white Korean unification flag.
Separately, the presidential office said Moon and Kim Yong Nam, the North's ceremonial leader who is leading the delegation, will together cheer their countries' unified female ice hockey team in a match later Saturday.
Pence did not shake hands with Kim, he added, but Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe did, exchanging a few words with him. But the Trump administration insists any negotiations must include the global community's demands that the North abandon its nuclear weapons program.
The worry is that the varying approaches might soon lead to a rift between South Korea and the United States, leaving Seoul to negotiate with Pyongyang on its own.
- 'Justice for Colten' rally draws dozens in Vancouver after not-guilty verdict
- Area snow emergencies declared beginning Thursday evening
- Senate strikes 2-year budget deal: 5 takeaways for healthcare leaders
- Trump tells Israel it will have to make 'hard compromises for peace'
- NKorean leader offers to meet SKorean president
- Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker in Todd Phillips' standalone movie
- Two police officers shot and killed in Ohio
- At Olympic Games, Kim Jong Un's sister takes VIP seat
- Guardiola comments on Gary Neville's failed management spell
- Vipshop (VIPS) Earns Media Impact Rating of 0.15