The entire amount is allocated to different heads but the largest share has been granted to the Polavaram multi-purpose project, which is the biggest bone of contention between the ruling party of Andhra Pradesh and the Centre. All the parties joined hands and made public protests against BJP and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The clear deficit in the two claims is of about Rs 3,000 crore which has led to acrimony between the two allies.
The Centre paid ₹3,979.5 crore to the State government towards the deficit for the first year, 2014-15.
The Lok Sabha adjourned on Friday for almost a month-long recess amid unrelenting protests by Andhra Pradesh MPs demanding more central assistance for the state and Congress members raising questions about the Rafale aircraft deal.
The TDP, which is an ally of the BJP, had hinted at parting ways after the recent budget, over the Centre's meagre allocation of funds to the state and for not honouring the promises as per AP Reorganisation Act.
A grant of Rs 196.92 crore was released for the Anganwadi services scheme and the supplementary nutrition programme and another Rs 31.76 crore for the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme, the report said.
He said that many works related to the state's development were "at a very advanced stage" and that various central ministries have been asked to look into and take "early decisions" related to various demands of the state.
The President of Congress Party, Rahul Gandhi also made use of this opportunity (rift between TDP and BJP) by tweeting - "The Congress Party supports the just demands of the people of Andhra Pradesh for special category status and speedy completion of the Polavaram project".
- Franklin Street Advisors INC Holds Holding in Gilead Sciences INC Com (GILD)
- EPL: Arsenal, Tottenham Up For North London Derby
- Was there a cyberattack at the Olympic opening ceremony?
- Heavy snow to blanket upper Midwest
- North Korean athletes reportedly reject free Samsung phone
- Carlos Cordeiro elected new US Soccer president
- Senate strikes 2-year budget deal: 5 takeaways for healthcare leaders
- 'Justice for Colten' rally draws dozens in Vancouver after not-guilty verdict
- From the White House to the hospital
- Alexis Sanchez on Joining Manchester United: 'I Came Here to Win Everything'