Kolkata: Gujarat's Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS) leader Hardik Patel met West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in Kolkata on Friday during which he promised to campaign for her party during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
Mamata Banerjee, referred to Hardik Patel "like my younger brother" and shared the fact that he is the first leader to whom she called and praised him after results for last December's Gujarat elections came in.
Patel, however, said that the meeting did not involve any political agreement between the two.
Patel, who met Banerjee at the state secretariat here tonight, also said she invited him to joined the TMC and manage its affairs in Gujarat, from where he hails. "She could impart these lessons easily because she started her political career during her college-days and that too with heavyweight leaders".
"'I told her I will come here in 2019 to campaign for you, and in the fight against forces attempting to break apart this country, we all will have to unite", he added. "I feel Mamata Banerjee should be the face of this united opposition", said Patel. "I saw lady Gandhi. After Indira Gandhi, she has been the epitome of struggle for the cause of the people", he said.
Patel also received an invitation from Banerjee to join the Trinamool Congress. "She had done a great work during the natural disaster in Bhuj 2001".
While leaving Nabanna late in the evening, Banerjee said she was impressed with Patel.
"There are so many Gujaratis and people from the Kurmi community in West Bengal".
Banerjee said Patel like her "younger brother". "I will come here", he said. "Didi has sent a recommendation to include the Kurmi community in schedule tribe but not in the OBC.", he said.
Mamata has been repeatedly making public statements in favour of a formation where regional political satraps play a big role, winning handsomely in their own backyards and then join forces in Delhi. "He is fighting for the people of Gujarat.I have asked him to join politics and work for the good of the common man", she said.
- Bank of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC) Resolves Mortgage Dispute With California Couple
- Abe meets Moon in S.Korea
- Isaiah Thomas Allegedly "Ecstatic" To Be A Laker
- NKorean leader offers to meet SKorean president
- Kim Jong Un invites South Korean president for summit
- Three Indigo-operated A320neo planes grounded after Airbus engine issue
- How Olympic gold changed (or didn't change) Mikaela Shiffrin
- 'Justice for Colten' rally draws dozens in Vancouver after not-guilty verdict
- Batshuayi helps give Reus a winning Dortmund return
- Senate strikes 2-year budget deal: 5 takeaways for healthcare leaders